2007 Toyota Camry with 110,000 miles that is burning oil too fast

Even with the long warranty for a cat converter (80k miles?) it’s probably cheaper to replace a converter under warranty than to fix or replace an engine that used 1qt/600mi when new.

@thesamemountainbike the Toyota 7A-FE engine is well known as being a big time oil consumer.
I’ve had a few cars with that engine. One of them was owned first by my father, then by me. It was perfectly maintained, from day 1 until I got rid of it recently. It consumed a lot of oil from the very beginning. I’m talking at least 1qt/1000 miles. I wasn’t too happy about it, but I needed it to keep going, so I regularly checked and topped off the oil level.

Oh, and for you guys that think that different oil viscosities help . . . No dice.

The owner’s manual called for 5w30. Switching to different viscosities MADE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.

Maybe it sounds like ranting, but I’m just relaying my personal experience with oil consumption.

If I had a car under warranty that was blowing through a quart of oil per 600 miles I would be stewed. How that jives with clean air and the environment is beyond me.

Jeez, when I finally got rid of my old Mercury Sable some years ago it had 420k miles on it and used a quart per 600 miles but that was mostly due to a rear main seal leak which I had no desire to fix given the age and miles on the car. The car had been relegated to beater status anyway.

Db, that has not been my experience. I’m sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t as positive.
It sounds like you’ve had problems with other Toyota engines as well. Are there any that you feel aren’t problematic?

I have a 2012 Camry 2.5 that doesn’t burn any noticeable oil between changes. If it did, I couldn’t expect any help from Toyota. My owners manual says " oil burning shall not be considered excessive unless it exceeds a quart per 500 miles" .

@thesamemountainbike The only Toyota engine I’ve had oil consumptions issues with are

1994 Celica 7A-FE 1.8
1995 Corolla 7A-FE 1.8

As you can see, I believe the 7A-FE engine wasn’t one of Toyota’s better designs.

My 1994 Tercel has a good engine, I believe.
My 2005 Camry with the 1MZ-FE V6 has a good engine, I believe.
My brother’s 2008 Highlander with the 2GR-FE V6 has a good engine, I believe.

So I’m not a Toyota hater. In fact, I like Toyotas. I just bought that Camry last year. I am just conscious of the fact that even Toyota screws up.

All Toyota A series engines had a problem with the front crankshaft seal. That was the main source of their oil consumption. The 94 Tercel has the 4A-FE so don’t be surprised if it starts leaking. The seal is easy to change each time you do a timing belt change, only takes a couple of minutes if you don’t follow the instruction in the FSM and just follow your instincts.

@Keith I’ve never had a leaking front crankshaft seal with my 7A-FE engines. I always replaced them during a timing belt job, as preventive maintenance, NOT because they were leaking. They never leaked.

Come on, don’t you think I know to rule out oil leaks as a source of oil consumption?!

By the way, you’re mistaken about what engine the 94 Tercel has. It has a 3E-E, NOT the 4A-FE.
The 3E-E is a SOHC 12 valve engine, while the 4A-FE is a DOHC 16 valve engine.

Why do I know this?
Because the 94 Tercel’s in my garage, and because I have the Toyota service manuals for the 1994 Tercel and the 1995 Corolla (which could be equipped with either the 4A-FE or the 7A-FE).
And because my mom once owned a car with a 4A-FE engine. So I know what all three of those engines look like.

By the way, the front crankshaft seal did leak once on the Tercel. I promptly changed it, along with everything else under the cover. That was years ago, though.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but you may want to check your source(s)