2007 Toyota 4 runner ignition problem

I have a 2007 4 runner. After shutting the vehicle off and letting it sit for a few minutes, when I try and start it, it cranks over and over without starting. When I turn it off and start again, it works. I only have 11,000 miles on it and it is still under warantee.

I took it into Toyota. First thing they said was they had never encountered this problem. When they called back later in the day, they said it was built into the design and I just needed to remove the key each time. I had tried that trick already and it didn’t work. And, if it had been built into the design, wouldn’t somebody have mentioned the problem before?

Any ideas?

I don’t know if you have the V-6 or the V-8 engine. I have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner with the V-6 and have never encountered this problem. I have turned it off waiting for a train and then restarted it. The 2007 is the same design and I doubt that this is something built into the design.

When it happens, you might try depressing the accelerator about 1/4 of the way and see if it then starts. This might help narrow down the problem.

I did have problems with the 4Runner and the dealer when we first bought the car brand new. It developed a chirp in the engine that was traced down to the serpentine belt. The belt was replaced twice. The second time, the belt wasn’t installed correctly and pulled out the oil seal and the car leaked oil. My wife talked to the salesman who sold us the car and he talked to the owner of the agency. They promised to get the car right. It turned out to be a bad belt tensioner and they did give us a car to drive while the 4Runner was repaired. I’ve had no more problems, but I take the car to an independent shop for servicing.

Dear Tom and Ray,

For the past 3 weeks I can no longer listen to you fine broadcast on my PC. So I upgraded to Adobe 10 flash player and still I can’t hear a world of your scholarly words and yes I enjoy you guys very much.

Please help.

It’s a computer problem. Go to My Computer, Control Panel and check your Sounds settings. You may have to turn something on or increase the volume. You need computer help.