2007 Subaru Outback Limited auto with 85k or 2004 Honda CRV manual with 56k?

I’m looking for a used vehicle, awd preferred. I’m a little concerned about Subaru repairs, though this car will have head gasket, timing belt and water pump replaced. No service records, though. The CRV has maintenance records, but I’ve heard some sketchy stuff about that year, esp with the ac. Any feedback on either of these vehicles? Thanks!

Buy the Honda.

Why do you say that?

I would only get an AWD vehicle with a manual transmission – more control, better MPG, no unexpected shifting and usually one extra gear.

I just know what the repair shops make money on around here

Buy the CRV, change the differential fluid in both differentials and only use genuine Honda fluids, good idea to change out the manual transmission fluid too. The CRV should be fine, but it is very fussy about using the correct fluids, that’s why I’d pay a bit more and stick to Honda brand fluids.

Re: awd - the Subaru is awd, the Honda is ‘real-time’ awd. My understanding is that the Honda suffices as ‘awd’ but Subies are actually better in snow/mud. ?

I did find a 2006 manual Subaru Outback with 90k; dealer says they can’t tell whether the timing belt was done. My guess is that it has not been done, since by 105k is the usual time to do it.

The Honda is probably cheaper to repair, but I’ve heard air cond issues for that year as well, though I probably only use it a few weeks in NH! I didn’t really want a car as old as 2004, but the mileage is low.

So far, it’s three votes for the Honda! Thanks …

If you need awd fine, either will work. But if you live in snow country, you may also live in the salt belt. Three years of exposure by the CRV is significant. Given the choices of these two, I will go against the flow and choose the Subaru, all other things being equal. I have seen the CRV rust with age, like all cars do, and it isn’t pretty or economically repairable. Body condition and safety features are at least as important as the mechanics. The Subby wins hands down for me.

Since 1999, we have had 7 CRVs, 6 while living in Vermont (we bought a new pair every 3 years). The last pair were 2005’s. On my way home from work one snowy morning (I worked nights then), there was a foot of snow on this 35-40 degree inclining road just before our house. A 2WD pickup was spinning like crazy and not getting too far. I had to stop cold in order for the pickup to try to make the grade. When he finally stopped, I wondered if I’d be able to take off forward or have to back down the hill. The little CRV never even tried to spin or at least I didn’t feel it, it just did what it was supposed to do and got me home safely. We did put winter tires on just to be that much safer. The last three miles of our trek home had steep inclines and was full of curves with heavy amounts of snow for the last mile especially. Our driveway was 650’ long and sometimes was drifted with a foot of snow or more. The clearance was nice enough in the CRVs to always get me to the garage.

35-40 degree incline? Not doubting your word ,but thats darn steep-Kevin

Thanks for commenting. As I mentioned on an other thread, I’ve been out of town and haven’t had a chance to post.

A clarification: the CRV is in the northeast now - went through this past winter - but is from Arizona.

I would also go with the CRV. The AWD system is different from the Subaru’s and less sensitive to damage from mismatched tires.