2007 Saturn Sky needs module for airbag recall

Remember that very few states still have those silly “safety inspection” programs. So most people would NOT junk an otherwise good car over this kind of issue.

Here in AZ, one could ignore the SRS warning light, and continue to register their car. For much of the state, there isn’t even an emissions test. In fact, it’s common to see cars for sale here with “rebuilt” or “restored salvage” titles where the airbags went off, and were never replaced. They just cover the opening with duct tape.

I am constantly amazed at what things I can get parts and what things I can’t. We have a portable landline phone and the battery died. A new rechargeable battery for the phone was $14.95 at Walmart, but an identical new.phone was $18.95. I bought a new phone. We have washing machine that we bought in 1992. It was leaking water internally, but only if one used a cycle that used hot water. I called an appliance repair shop and gave the model of the machine and a description of the problem. The technician came had the correct part with him and had it all fixed in 45 minutes. Now if parts are available for a 26 year old machine, parts should be available for an 11 year old Saturn Sky. A car is more.expensive than a washing machine. I bought a 1948 Dodge in 1977. I could go to NAPA and buy engine parts even though Chrysler quit making flathead 6 cylinder engines in 1959.
As most of you have guessed, I am an old geezer and I can’t get in tune with today’s throwaway society. I would hate to see a 2007 Saturn Sky parted out because the SRS light is on, but the car is still functional.

The passive restraint system will be repaired for free under the recall, there is no need to seek a by-pass or salvage the vehicle.

It is funny. I never see these cars but this thread came up and I happened to be behind one TODAY. It was a really nice looking car and can definitely see why you wouldn’t want to junk it over some trivial electronic component. I am glad this is getting taken care of.

The problem seems to be the parts needed for the fix haven’t been available, and until they are the OP can’t register or drive the car.

This is now an active recall, parts are available however supply is limited. The OP has an appointment to have the recall performed.

Even if it were to take several more months before parts are available it isn’t the end of the world, thousands of Lexus vehicles were taken off the road and parked for months while waiting for replacement Takata airbags.

My 03 tailblazer as far as I can tell was under the problem vehicles but recall not implemented. I called the dealer asked about getting the airbag disconnected, can’t do that they said, It has become difficult to find the real info.