2007 RAV4 check engine light saga

@futureMACH I’ll bet you lunch that nobody so far has let the monitor run to completion after replacing parts and clearing codes

And nobody has bothered to check mode 6 data

If they’d done that, they’d know the code will reoccur

if these mechanics working on the car don’t even know what I’m talking about, they need to hit the books

Maybe, maybe not, but I’m confident that if the code should reappear we’ve given the OP a great deal of information to go on.

I’m an optimist. I’m going to accept the OP’s assessment that the vehicle is fixed. I wish him/her many more happy and trouble free miles.

“Lol never mind… it’s back… $800 into this so far.”

In the back of my mind, I’m wondering if the pcm needs a flash

Seems Toyota has numerous bulletins dealing with pcm flashes to address issues with a/f and/or O2 sensors

I’m still thinking that the cat converter might need changing… typical for a Toyota at 150K.
But I’m hoping I’m wrong. I’m hoping the vehicle is fixed once and for all.

Was the repair performed per the T-SB-0001-10? There are 2 different possible drive cycles for your car. Either one of the drive cycles can be completed in about a half hour. The car should have been driven whit a scanner in check mode to confirm the repair. There are not any reflashes for the ecm for the codes given though there are a few for other issues for this year. Let us know what they find out when you take it back.

I don’t believe they ran a diagnostic after replacing the part… I was in and out of the dealer in less than an hour. I didn’t get a printout of any codes or diagnostic readings like I did at my local guy.

I’m taking it in today after work and they’re keeping it and giving me a loaner. I’ll print out this thread and have them answer these questions for me.

@futureMACH With that information in hand, I can guarantee you 100% they did not run the monitor to completion

At some point, they’re going to have to do a proper diagnosis. I wonder if they even know what monitors and mode 6 data is, or what “complaint, cause, correction” even means

Maybe the shop foreman is not letting the mechanic spend the time to do a proper diagnosis and repair. But odds are the mechanic himself needs some more training. Or maybe he’s sloppy, and doesn’t double check his work, or verify that the repair was actually successful

Sloppy is the word of the day. Now I’m told that they did not install the correct part, and that the correct Air Fuel Ratio sensor is on back order. It’s also $60 more (though they’re not charging me for that). So in 7-10 days we’ll see if it’s the right one.

@futureMACH it’s on back order for 7-10 days . . . ?!

Is it coming from Japan . . . ?!

here’s what I suggest. When the part arrives, insist that their best mechanic do the repair, and 100% verify the repair. That’s going to involve a lot more than just clearing the code and handing you the keys

Perhaps it’s time for the shop foreman to take over . . .

Can you post the part number? Backorder may be from the port strike that just ended.

What ended up being the fix for your RAV4? I am struggling withe the same issues now.

Lol I traded it in for a new one!

1 Like

On the main page click on the new topic box and start your own thread with facts and descriptions about your vehicle and problems. You will get better results that way. As you can see asking the starter of this thread is not much help.

Dern it! Thanks bunches for getting back to me though.

That’s one way to solve stubborn car repair problems … :wink:

1 Like