2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - Needs cats

HELLO, I own a 2007 Tahoe that needs cats.I live in NY no one will ship to NY unless it’s a carb complaint approved for CA. What so advise?

I see 2 choices, sell the Tahoe or buy CARB compliant cats.

5 Likes

Do you live in an area with emissions inspections? If so, you might want to have a shop install catalytic converters for you. They are on the hook for anything they sell you and install.

Also, do you know why you need new cats? If you are burning oil you might ruin the new catalytic connectors while you still own the truck.

1 Like

Why are you sure you need cats?

They were stolen?

P0420 and P0430?

If the last one, was the truck properly diagnosed?

Or the check engine light was illuminated, someone retrieved codes and that was the extent of the “diagnosis” . . . ?!

1 Like

You don’t say how stringent the NY emissions testing is–whether they merely check to see if the CEL is off, and the monitors are “ready”, or if they visually check the cats for a part number to confirm they are OEM or CARB certified. You also don’t say what is the cost delta between a good quality set of cats, versus a CARB certified set.

If the answer is that the emission test is purely a plug-in test, and the cost delta is many hundreds of dollars, then it might make sense to have the cats shipped to another state, and physically go to pick them up. Depending on how you plan to buy them, in-store pickup, delivery to a family member, or even an Amazon locker could be an option.

I live in AZ, and the emissions test on any 1996 or newer vehicle consists merely of connecting to the onboard computer, and testing the gas cap. They don’t even lift up the hood. So here, any cat which will satisfy the PCM into keeping the CEL off is sufficient. It does not need to be CARB certified, even if the car has CA emissions.

1 Like

What’s the difference in price between the CARB compliant cats, and the non-CARB version. If only a couple hundred dollars , it is probably worth that expense b/c the CARB cats will likely last longer.

In any event, if your state requires on CARB-approved replacements, your best bet is to do what they say. Otherwise you may be looking at a very big fine someday. It is a fairly easy task for a knowledgeable shop tech to determine if a cat is legal or not. All they have to do in most cases is a visual inspection of the part number.

Agreed with trying to determine why you need new catalytic converters, whether the engine is burning oil, or something else. It doesn’t make sense to spend that much money on new converters if they’re going to be fouled again in a year or two.

And personally, I’d just let a local shop do the repair work. They’re going to have access to the right parts and expertise to do the job. My guess is you’re trying to order some converters yourself to do the work yourself.

Good luck.

1 Like

How often do you have to add oil, miles/qt?

I believe NY state is quite strict

OP is probably only allowed to install cats that are CARB-compliant, if the vehicle does indeed have CA emissions

2 Likes

New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program…

Each vehicle registered in New York State must be inspected at least every 12 months. The inspection must be done before the expiration date of the current inspection sticker, and whenever the vehicle becomes registered in a different name.

2 Likes

Interesting. IMO NY’s emissions testing method seems more sensible than Calif’s, at least for OBD I vehicles. There’s no need for the inspector to get into the car and drive it on the roller-treadmill, avoiding the potential Covid risk.

For some reason they call the OBD I version “Low Enhanced” … no idea what “Low Enhanced” is supposed to mean. But this is what it says:

A “Low Enhanced” emissions inspection is required for most other [non OBD II] vehicles, unless they are subject to the OBDII test or are exempt from all emissions inspections. This inspection is required for all vehicles with a model year below the lower limit of OBDII test range and that weigh 18,000 lbs. or less.

Each emissions inspection for gasoline-powered vehicles confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle’s required emissions control devices. This includes making sure that the vehicle’s gas cap is present, is in good condition, and fits properly.

Is that procedure really still in effect in CA? The prevalence of AWD vehicles (which would suffer mechanical damage from running just 2 wheels on a roller-treadmill) has caused most states to eliminate that old test. NJ is extremely strict regarding emissions, but simply plugging-in to the diagnostic connector suffices.

1 Like

As far as I know dyno-emissions testing for pre-OBD II vehicles continues in 2024 , called the “enhanced tailpipe emissions” testing, something like that. The specific requirements for dyno (roller-treadmill) testing vary county by county. Presumably AWD configurations which could be damaged by dyno-testing are tested differently.

My '96 Outback came with a copy of the regulation exempting AWD vehicles from the dyno/roller/treadmill test. In case an inspection employee was ignorant of the regulation, supposedly showing the text of the regulation was sufficient to avoid that test.

I was never asked to drive that car into the dyno/roller/treadmill, but I was prepared–just in case. By the early-mid 2000s, NJ removed that equipment from the state inspections stations.

1 Like

the 2007 Tahoe id OBDll, my daughter 's 2010 Corolla had a cover welded over her car to seal leaks. Perfectly legal in NY, so I don’t think they check part numbers.