2006 Toyota Sienna AC Recharge

Last year the shop diagnosed a slow leak in rear AC lines, no parts were available at the time. They recharged the system and sent me on my way. Well it looks like it needs a top off. Any thoughts or recommendations for a Autozone/Advance Auto recharge kit?

Thanks,

Ed B.

Not interested in fixing the leak?

Tester

1 Like

Old van, no parts. The shop suggested a recharge as needed. I got the feeling they didn’t want to do the repair.

B.S.!

Look on Rockauto.

Tester

I’ve used the recharge kits on old cars deemed not worth repairing. It’s always a gamble because you’re often guessing how much is needed, or if more oil is needed.

It’s better to do the job correctly as Tester noted.

But if you can’t, then be prepared for subsequent tinkering when using the recharge kits (adding more, letting some out, repeat,…).

I don’t know where you’re taking it, but I find the “no parts” line to be questionable at best. Typical leaks are just things like o-rings which are pretty well standardized. But you didn’t say what was leaking? Was dye added and the leak verified? If so, what - exactly - was leaking?

In any case, if you do want to fix it, look around for a local shop that specializes in A/C systems. (Or even just try a shop other than the one who told you there were no parts).

Second to that, take it to a shop and just have them pull down and then recharge the system with dye added. The recharge kits work solely on measuring the low-side refrigerant pressure which is not the right way, and you can run into the “guessing” problem as noted by @JoeMario. Auto A/C systems are filled to a specified weight (likely give on a label under the hood), not by pressure and certainly not by low-side pressure alone. You have to be able to monitor low and high side at the same time. This requires a manifold gauge set which are not all that expensive. But they still don’t solve the problem. They are still filled by weight, so you still need to suck it all out and then add to the specified weight.

Third to that, the OTC A/P store recharge systems are pretty much all the same thing and I have used them successfully and without difficulties. Just pick one that isn’t a one-time use - i.e. where the pressure gauge is attached the can and can’t be unscrewed and re-used on a new can. But note that they do only give low-side pressure so it’s a very imprecise process.

Youtube has a lot of videos on DIY evacuating and recharging auto A/C. It will require a “loaner tool” from an A/P store to do the evacuating and vacuuming and whatnot.

A lot of DIY’ers don’t know the proper method of charging an AC system. And because of this, fail to charge an ac system correctly, ending up with poor results.

Tester

1 Like

I got mine fixed last year. Those lines can be made by the shop. I had two leaks above the right rear wheel well. There are no replacement parts for my handicap van.

1 Like

Never, ever, ever.

1 Like

Than try a different shop!

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Excellent advice as usual, I’ll leave the a/c to the pros. I may have to look for a shop that will do the work. Ed B.