2006 Subaru Outback: fuse or radio

2006 Subaru Outback

I am driving along and my radio go silent. the AC & the blower go out at the same time. I drop off the car in to the Subaru dealer in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. they call me back in a couple of hours and tell me I have bad radio that might work for a while longer but they recommend replacing it. $350 plus tax & labor.

I get the car back and the scan button no longer works & the buttons stick. does this seem right?

This is a bit of a mystery, but fuses do not fix themselves, so you can rule out a blown fuse.

Instead of going back to that dealership, I would suggest that you take the car to a well-reputed independent mechanic for examination. One of the possibile sources of your problem is failing diodes in your alternator. When an alternator is beginning to die, all sorts of strange, transitory electrical problems can occur, including devices that stop working for a short time and then begin working again, and also loss of certain functions in electronic devices.

Once an alternator gets to this stage, total failure can be only hours or days away, so I would suggest trying to get this situation properly diagnosed and fixed a.s.a.p.

Agreed on checking alternator. I just went through replacing mine on similar vehicle generation 2005 Legacy wagon (although turbo). My car went electrically crazy(frozen radio/climate controls, random idiot lights, jumping speedometer) since the alternator was putting out 18V at idle erractically.