2006 sentra tranny fluid change

Ok we have a sentra with 49k miles on it. Aamco said there were two options for the fluid change.

1. Drop the pan change only that fluid, the gasket and filter

2. Power purge. Change all the tranny fluid but nit the gasket or filter

Each is $99 and we can do it all for $199 but we don’t have that money right now. Can anyone advise which we should do. Thanks a lot.

Number one is great. Never have anybody power flush a transmission, you can’t trust them with valuable machinery.

Find a good independent mechanic and have the pan dropped with gasket and filter replacement. The filter replacement is as important as the fluid change. I never advise going to a “chain shop” for any maintenance.

So NO Aamco??? THanks

#1 is the preferred service.  However I would look for a local independent transmission shop.  

Too many people have had problems with the chains.

The ideal thing to do would be to drop the pan and change the filter if it has one. Then exchange all the tranny fluid with new fluid using a tranny fluid exchange machine. Then on the next tranny service don’t drop the pan. Just exchange the fluid. Then on the next service, drop the pan and do the exchange. Etc.

But in your situation, I’d go with the tranny fluid exchange only. Why? With a fluid exchange all the tranny fluid is replaced. And oxidized tranny fluid is what kills transmissions. Where if the pan is just dropped to drain the tranny fluid, only 30% of the old fluid is removed. So there’s still 70% of the old fluid still in the tranny. So you’re not going to replenish the old fluid with the new fluid. But instead you contaminate the new fluid with the old fluid.

Tester

I vote for #1, but not at AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out.