2006 MINI Cooper S - Rough shifting

Rough shifting of second and third gear once the car is warmed up. It is an automatic with /manual paddle shifters and I just acquired it. It has approximately 190,000 miles on it. Is it fixable or should I just deal with it? Is there a reputable Mini mechanic in Denver to fully evaluate the vehicle honestly? If so, please recommend them. Thanks.

Check Yelp reviews for an independent transmission shop. Do not
Go to any of the well known chains. You might see some improvement with a transmission filter and fluid change.

1 Like

You should have asked for that before buying the car.

Everything is fixable, just takes money. If you just deal with it, you likely will need MORE money to fix it than if you fix it right now.

I’d start saving for a new vehicle right now. This one is pretty much at the end of life and is going to cost you quite a bit of money from here on. Sorry if this seems harsh but these cars are known to be unreliable money pits. Better you should prepare for it rather than get caught short.

2 Likes

+1
Repairs that are deferred are never cheaper than repairs that are done promptly.

… and that is true of Minis with far less odometer mileage.

I would suggest that you take it a.s.a.p. to an independent transmission shop that has been in business for at least 3 years, and that gets good online reviews. Do NOT go to Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or AAMCO unless you want to be told that you need a transmission overhaul–even if only a more minor repair is needed.

1 Like