2006 Ford F-150 - Spark plug blow up

I can almost see 3 coils, should be done by lunch time.

This is why I like owning cars with a 4-cylinder NA engine. Easy to work on, easy to maintain. I could literally change all four spark plugs and tighten them down with a torque wrench in 15-20 minutes. Even if there’s a plastic engine cover to remove first.

I am well aware that there are models which require several hours of labor, and the removal of various components to access the spark plugs. I just cannot fathom owning such a thing.

1 Like

@George_San_Jose1

It might be time to buy a vehicle made in the 21st century . . .

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

I can’t say anything about that as mine are 31 and 39 years old.

2 Likes

Hard to find a 3/4 ton camper van with a 1.8 liter non turbo engine.

2 Likes

Different vehicles for different needs. My father had a V10 Dodge Ram to pull a 35’ fifth wheel camper. I used his truck to move a load of furniture, truck and trailer to Nogales, AZ, 14 miles to the gallon, about the same as my V8 truck.

Of course one could get a car with a Flathead six, 15 minutes for plugs, 45 minutes for head gasket.

2 Likes

The fact that a car manufacturer settles a class action lawsuit does not mean that there is a legitimate problem with whatever that suit involves.

It’s a business decision. The car maker knows that if the car owner has a problem due to his or her own negligence and sues, the car maker will be in front of an equally clueless judge and jury. That jury will likely look at is as the little guy being abused by Big Business and award him a 100 million dollars because his neglected bottom of the line EconoSlug crapped out. Factoring in legal fees to defend this constantly and the ensuing appeals is the more expensive option so settling is the cheaper option.

About 15 or so years ago I got a letter in the mail from eBay and their attorneys. It advised me that due to a class action settlement I was being sent my share; and I was not even aware of the suit nor would I have even cared if I had known.
The enclosed check was for 3.28. I never even cashed it. Just framed it for laughs.
The attorneys cashed in; plaintiffs not so much.

That is true for many–perhaps most–Class Action Suits, but there are notable exceptions.
Several years ago, there was a Class Action Suit regarding price-fixing on CRT computer monitors.

Since I had bought several CRTs over the years, I “joined” the suit and had actually forgotten about it when a check arrived, almost 2 years later. I don’t recall the exact amount, but it was more than $300. Trust me–I cashed it.

3 Likes

I got a similar settlement in the mail from out of the blue. I think Briggs and Stratton over rated the HP numbers on the engine on a lawnmower I bought or something like that! I went ahead and cashed the $5 or so check. Who the hell is putting their lawnmower on a dyno to figure out it has 18 hp instead of 22?

I may have the oldest cars on the board. '60 Chrysler, '62 Cadillac, '63 Lincoln. Of the three, only the Caddy is in running condition at the moment.

3 Likes

You’ve got 63 Continental too? I’ve always been a GM guy, when we were young my Ford buddy had a pair of 65 Continentals. I loved the interior and the way that car rode (better than the 61 Cad I had), but the vacuum system for the HVAC was a nightmare I never did figure out.

Mine is the convertible, has just the heater and defroster. The electrics and hydraulics for the top and the deck lid, are nightmarish though. I bought the car for only $3,300 in the 1970’s, because the top didn’t work, and the original owner’s “mechanic” couldn’t figure it out. I had already gotten a schematic and complete shop manual though, and had it working about 15 minutes after I drove it home.

2 Likes