2006 Chrysler Town & Country: switching to synthetic oil

I have a 2006 Chrysler town and country. At my nest oil change i was thinking about changing to synthetic oil. Is there any thing I need to do other than drain and change the type oil? Does it require a diffrent type of oil filter other than what I am using now?
Thanks,
James

Opinions vary on this. But I am very against switching to full synthetic on a well used engine. What can happen is that any carbon build up created on rings and bore can actually help seal. When you switch to synthetic it tends to clean some of the carbon. It also lubricates so well that seal is lost between rings and bore. The best application for synthetic is on new car just after break in. If you don’t break it in first the rings don’t seat to the bore due to excess lubrication.

I have done this on higher mileage vehicles I bought used. Any good filter is fine. Plan on half the distance for your normal oil change for the NEXT change after using synthetic. Also check you oil level every fill-up of gas.

Why? Synthetic may flush a bunch of the junk out of your engine and it will tend to use twice as much or more as you would see with regular oil. Top up as needed. If you normally change at 5000 miles, do it as 2500 miles and then the next change would be 5000. Keep checking oil levels often. As things settle down the consumption should go back to whatever is normal for this car. If it doesn’t, go back to regular oil but I’ve never had to do that.

1 Like