2005 Toyota Corolla CE Right rear wheel hit curb. Now bent slightly in. Repairable?

Wife’son hithe 6-inch 90-degree cement curb.
Hoping it was the wheel, I puthe spare on. The wheel istill tilted in.
Can this be.nt out?

Thank you.

The spare is smaller that the normal tire so it will tilt in. You need to check it with one of the front tires. Alternative, with the car on a level surface, Jack up the rear and put a pair of jack stands under the beam at equal distances from the center and set to the same height. Use a level to determine if the beam is bent.

A frame shop might be able to bend it back, but I’d be concerned that the beam used between the wheels may have lost some of the strength that it needs and that cannot be restored.

You might be able to get one from a recycling yard. There is not a lot of call for these that I know of so it may not be too expensive.

The wheel is easy to replace, I’d worry more about the front suspension damage that may well have occurred. Get a replacement wheel from the junkyard or used from a tire shop, maybe a ‘takeoff’ from a Toyota dealer, but immediately get the supension carefully checked out.

You don’t say whether this is front or back or whether the top is tilted in or the front or back of the tire is tilted in. At any rate the short answer is no, if the wheel is still tilted more than the others, something is bent out of place and it cannot be just bent out again. The parts will need to be replaced. If its the front, it could be the tie rod that is bent, or the strut in the back or front. You just need to get it into an alignment shop to have it looked at and see what exactly is bent on it.

“2005 Toyota Corolla CE Right rear wheel hit curb. Now bent slightly in.”

Luckily he did not hithe front wheel.

Thanks, all.
Will take it to a place which specializes in Toyotas.
Might be cheaper if I go to a junk yard and get a new beam.
Is it something that can be unbolted and new (used) bolted in?
I would assume that such is all welded.

The only other Toyota Corolla in a junk yard that I know of is a LE.
Hope the frame is the same.
I have not been able to look at what is there closely enough - had to leave for work.

If the wheel was bent in, it would wobble as it rotates. I don’t know how the rear wheels are mounted on your car, but it sounds as if you have a bent axle or suspension arm. Or it may just need to be realigned.

Any shop that does alignment and suspension work should be able to tell you what’s damaged and give you an estimate.

I strongly recommend against trying to repair this yourself. Even if you could get an exact replacement “new beam”, specialized tools and knowledge (like perhaps a spring compressor) will still be needed to perform the repair, and a good 4-wheel alignment will still be needed.

Trying to do this yourself could be dangerous, both because parts such as springs and mounts are under compression forces and could seriously injure you if not properly restrained, and because suspension work improperly done can cause catastrophic failure in the middle of the highway. Lives could be lost.

Even a simple job like removing a sway bar requires tools that most folks don’t have at home. It requires a good long-handled allen wrench (or allen head on a ratchet) and a ratcheting box-end wrench. It would take forever with a regular box-end.

I urge you, please don’t try to repair this yourself.

Thank you, mountain, for your advice.

The beam axle is bent and must be replaced.
Right rear wheelbearing is bad.
Wheel slightly bent.

Estimate $2,300.

A junk yard says they have a good beam axle for $400 instead of $1,400 new.
Will see itomorrow after work.
Repair says they will install it if good enough.

I do not havenough tools or the proper tools and know the danger of working with anything compressed.

Thank you.

I just picked up the axle beam.
It also includes the hubs/bearings.

Looksimple.

No time to see the Corolla, but is this something I CAN install myself?
(I used to work at a Conoco in the early 90’s.)

Thank you.

Pick up a Haynes repair manual, browse through the appropriate section, and see if it’s something you’re comfortable with.

Be sure you have the right tools, follow the directions carefully, work safely, and you should be able to do this. But if when you read the process in the manual you don;t feel comfortable, you’d be better to take it to a shop. Safety is worth a few hundred bucks.

Sincere best.

I’m not sure. The factory service manual (FSM) shows that the carrier bushing, thats the black rubber bushings, have to be damaged in order to get a special tool on them to pull them out. That means that you will need new carrier bushings.

The special tool is a puller. I don’t know if you can get by with a common puller or not and if it is really necessary to damage the carrier bushings like they show. I have run into situations where the FSM over complicates things and a lot of steps they show are not really necessary. I’d have to do one of these to see if that is a possibility.

I’d recommend asking your mechanic or dealer for suggestions.

I bent my small pickup’s front wheel this winter after hitting an icy patch, and thought it was bent beyond repair (I also put on the spare). I asked my mechanic for recommendations and she suggested a wheel shop. Their technician examined it and then “straightened” it right out, and the wheel has been trouble-free ever since then.

Thank you, all.

Bought a brand new used 2004 Corolla dead axle from a junk yard. $400.
Drums were good and bearings tight - no wobble.
Brake pads were slightly thicker than those on the bent axle.
Bought new brake pads buthey are only slightly thicker than the others, so took them back.

Had to use a floor jack to push up thend of a wrench to break the bolts free.
Bled the brakes and everything is fine.

Makes a click sound when I turn and hit a bump, so may need to replace the carrier bushings. They looked good to me but I never saw any before.
Axle was tight and no free play when car up on floor jacks so I don’t know from where the sound is coming.

Thank you.