2005 Odyssey Transmission Failing?

Interesting because the dealer is now telling me the new “smell” is coming from spilled transmission fluid on the exhaust. They cannot find any other explanation for the “new” fumes. No codes. No other problems. Like I said, it is driving ok except for the smell. Could the tranny actually be fine now that it’s been flushed twice and driving fine? What motive would the dealer have to say the trans is ok now if it’s not?? The whole ordeal is driving me crazy. We have a long trip planned soon and I am really nervous driving this car.

The real question about smell is not about any smell associated with driving the car (as long as no leaks have been found). Its about the smell of the transmission fluid itself. So do yourself a favor and pull out the dipstick for the transmission fluid. Note its color and its smell. Put a drip of it on a clean, white paper towel & let the paper towel sit for a good hour.

Then report back & describe. Imagine a color scale that goes from bright red/pink through burgundy - brown - black. Report where you’d put it on that scale. The smell should not be anything that resembles burned. It should basically smell like some type of petroleum product. The drop on the paper towel should slowly spread from about the size of a small pea to about the size of a silver dollar over time. It should actually nearly disappear from view on the paper towel with leaving gunk on it. In essence it should just still look like a nice clean paper towel.

However, that will tell you about the fluid right now. If you had the fluid changed at 95K and then at 106K your fluid was dark and burned then the transmission is slipping. This is what ok4450 was saying. Any transmission that has burned its fluid is already dead. It might limp for a while, but not well and not for long.