2005 ford taurus

have a 05 ford taurus had a lot of problems first the air fuel mixture was off had that repaired, the auto shop also raised the RPM on the idle, had to get new battery couple months ago and now i want to say the timing belt sounds lose or may need to be replaced keeps making a squeaking noise when in park or stopped at a traffic light and the RPMS are jumping around a bit anyone have any clue what is should do?

Why did they rase the RPM? New battery was due.

How many miles on the timing belt? If it has been replaced who did it? (do you trust them) If it is loose and skips even a little, it can take out an interference engine.

i have had the car since 2008 no idea about how many miles on it i don’t think it is lose just when it gets cold it squeaks and they raised the rpm because it was bouncing around a bit(raise and lower just a little but kept doing it) just this car has given me more problems than any other car

Your car’s engine does not have a timing belt. If the accessory drive belt is loose it might make some noise, but that’s easy to fix by installing and properly tensioning a new belt.

No one should adjust the idle speed. It’s controlled by the computer. I think you should consider a different mechanic.

I’m with mcparadise. Your problem is the shop you are taking the car to. Ask around among people you know for a local mechanic with a good reputation. Just take the car there.

The fact that you think you have a timing belt when you have a chain AND that even if it was a belt that you have no clue about its age or mileage leads me to believe that you don’t really pay attention to maintenance on the car. Get the owners manual out (or find one) and have your new mechanic bring all of the maintenance up to date.

You probably need a new serpentine belt. Perhaps a tensioner as well. You probably need new spark plugs, wires, air & fuel filters, etc.

As the others have implied, the OP is confusing a serpentine belt with a timing belt. There is a world of difference between the two, and the consequences of one of these belts snapping is very different for the two types of belt. Luckily, the OP’s engine has a timing chain (which usually lasts for the lifetime of the engine), rather than a timing belt.

Clearly the OP is not very knowledgeable about the working or the maintenance of his/her own vehicle–which although certainly not a crime, is something that can lead him/her to make some very expensive mistakes with the car’s operation and its maintenance. As was suggested, he/she needs to sit down with the vehicle’s maintenance schedule (probably contained inside the Owner’s Manual) and give it a thorough perusual. That will tell him/her what needs to be done at each maintenance interval, and this can potentially save money at each maintenance as well as extend the life of the vehicle.

In addition to reading the print materials that came with the car, the OP should consider taking a Basic Car Maintenance class at his/her local vocational/technical school or community college or adult education program. These courses are designed to familiarize a car owner with what is under the hood and how all the major components of the car work, even if that person is not going to do any repair work himself. These courses assume that you know virtually nothing about the working of a car and will give him/her a new perspective that can save lots of money over the years.

Knowing–in a basic sense–how a car works and how it should be maintained is very valuable information for a car owner.