2005 Ford E150 runs rough at high temps

2005 E150 4.6 at temps above 90 degrees can runs extremely rough, no power. Manipulating the throttle will finally get it to go

The problem might be that the electronic throttle body is being effected by engine heat.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8841584&cc=1430669&jsn=449

Tester

If the throttle body is bad, or the throttle body sensor. Will it set a code and a check engine light? Because the engine light has not come on!

It usually should. Because there’s a throttle position sensor.

But not always. Because it’s considered an engine control component. And not an emission control component.

For yucks and giggles, remove the hood as a test, so the heat can get out from the engine bay.

If the problem goes away, that’s the problem.

Tester

Thank you, when I get this solved, you will be the second to know.

Do you mean it idles rough, but runs ok once you get going? Or do you mean when it is running rough, it both idles and runs at speed rough? Temperature related misfiring can also commonly be caused by ignition components, such as the crank position sensor. But those don’t usually recover by themselves by pressing on the gas pedal.

Sounds like a failing fuel pump. Connect a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure as you drive.

The engine runs perfectly until the engine is hot and the ambient temp reaches 90+. In fact during the winter I have no problems what so ever. This happened last summer, and again now. When accelerating from a stop, the engine idles perfectly, then stumbles hard, no acceleration, back fires, manipulation on the throttle will eventually get it going. When it does finally smooth out you can nail it and it runs fine, acceleration and shifting through the gears. At highway speeds you have to continue to adjust gas pedal, because it will start running rough. Park it turn it off for a couple hours. It will run fine until it heats up. The vehicle runs perfectly in the morning for a 30 min ride to town.

When you manipulate the gas pedal to get this problem to stop happening, you are probably changing the fuel / air mixture in the correct direction. So either too little or too much air or fuel. It could be the throttle valve is sticking due to the heat and affecting the airflow, or the fuel pump is heat affected. When it is hot there needs to be more air and less fuel, so the engine air filter should be another suspect. Finally, there’s an off chance the cat’s guts have separated, and it blocks the exhaust flow intermittently. I think the fuel pressure test while driving is probably where I’d start with that problem.