2005 Dodge Neon transmission

The PCM/TCM will illuminate the check engine light for most faults detected. A loss of prime fault will be set if the transmission pump is starved of fluid. You should perform some diagnostics before you begin repairs.

powertrain control and transmission control modules (PCM and TCM). Had to look that up. Are these modules inside the transmission?

I changed the fluid and filter today. Old filter did not look to bad, was red but didn’t seem to dirty. The fluid also did not look to bad, a dark red. Will not know if that did anything, personally I do not think it will, until I drive it next with it being cold.

Let us know how it comes out; Lots of luck.

Deleted.

Test drove car for first time today since changing filter. Had no problems at all. Temps were in the 20’s.

Thanks for letting us know.

It also has been running better at the stop lights. Before, for the last good few months, it would run crappy when sitting at a red light in drive. Almost stall and I would put it in neutral to keep it running good. Now it runs great when sitting still in drive.

Next week will be the true test as temps are said to be in the teens for high. If I do not reply here next week that means everything went perfect next week. Thanks for the help all.

Weather was in the teens today this morning. Trany did the same, not quite as bad, but did go into a total neutral. It is likely something inside the trany. I will park until warmer weather, upper 20’s and up. They say after this week we are suppose to be near 30 or above. The thing works 100% perfect at those temps. I believe it will likely last for a long time whatever it is. At least until next winter. For now I will drive my second car. Thanks for the help.