2005 Chrysler Crossfire - CarFax issue

I have a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible. When I bought it used from a dealer the Carfax report indicated no problems. The report was clean. I have owned the car for about a year and a half now. I only drive it to car shows. While at a car show a man made me an offer on the car that was hard to refuse. When we checked the Carfax Report, it showed the car had been in a wreck. I assured the man that the car had not been wrecked, but he did not respond. I contacted Carfax. They could not tell me why the report showed that the car had been damaged because of confidential reasons. I had wanted to confront my accuser. Question: Is there any way to remove this mistaken report from my Crossfire from Carfax? I repeat, the car had not been wrecked and there has been no damage to the car since I have owned it.

You don['t know if this IS mistaken. The car could have been wrecked 2 months before you bought it and the report of the accident repair didn’t show up until after purchase.

This is a problem with relying on CarFax and other reporting services. Not all service is reported, not all wrecks are reported and when they are, how do you know if it is real or fake? It cold also be that someone entered a wrong digit and the wreck is another car entirely.

I don’t know what your recourse is with CarFax. You need to ask them. you said they could not tell you why the report was there but did you ask how to remove or verify it? You might try and sue them for lost value but the lawyer will cost you more than any losses. Sorry.

5 Likes

Go to the Carfax web site and you will find a way to request verification to the report . And no they will not give you the name or source of the information you think is wrong . Also your insurance agent might be able to look into the report also.

5 Likes

The Carfax report should also tell you in the detailed history when the accident was, it may have been shortly before you purchased the car.

3 Likes

Read the CF fine print and you will find disclaimers. CF promotes themselves as the last word on a car’s condition but they always have outs buried in there.

You state the car had not been wrecked or damaged since you owned it. Maybe you need to have the car looked over by a good body man and determine if it has been whacked.

3 Likes

I’ll start with the big big problem with used cars that Carfax is supposed to solve: accidents. In my experience dealing with used cars they’re almost never reported by anyone but police departments. If someone gets in a wreck on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the PA State Police respond, you can be sure the accident is going on the Carfax. How about the smaller police departments? That’s a crapshoot. Officer decides not to file a report? No accident on Carfax. Or if he does file a report, but the Wampum P.D. stores their accident records in shoeboxes stacked inside their holding cell that hasn’t seen an occupant since the Ford administration, Carfax is never finding out about this accident. Only computerized records are shared with Carfax, and the detail of those varies by police department. Some will report the severity of the wreck and whether the airbags were deployed. Some won’t.

But wait, there’s more! When the Wampum P.D. finally does computerize its records, they’ll suddenly report everything to Carfax. I’ve seen this happen several times before- someone buys a used car with a clean Carfax, and two years later suddenly it’s got a wreck on the history from a year before they bought it. It’ll be noted on the Carfax entry by the nice little disclaimer “Carfax started reporting this information on (whatever date the records were uploaded).”

Doesn’t the body shop report the repairs from the accident to Carfax? Usually not. The majority of body shops don’t report any records to Carfax at all, and when they do, it’ll say something like “Vehicle serviced. Front bumper, fascia, headlights, grille, and Johnson rod replaced.” What it doesn’t say is “Accident Reported.” Carfax reports this as a repair, not an accident.

3 Likes

Carfax can be useful at times . I have posted this before . Here in Oklahoma I saw a late model Mustang Red convertible listed at a decent price and pictures looked OK. It had a Carfax button on the web site. It started as a rental in Hawaii , then an auction in California , then auction in Minnesota and then for sale here in Oklahoma. I did not even go look at it . Hawaii being the perfect place for a convertible and what was wrong with this thing that it kept getting auctioned off so many places.

1 Like

I can’t help but wonder if the seller showed you a fraudulent Carfax report. Did you use your own Carfax account to view the report, or did you rely on the seller to show it to you?

1 Like

I agree with wolyrobb’s comments.

Being a long haired, bearded biker, I always tended to get stopped by the police more often. Many times tickets were issued some deserved; the majority not.

Back in the day when OK recertifed its vehicle safety inspectors I was asked how many tickets I had with only one line available. I just put down “too many to list”. This raised a red flag.

Two weeks later a state trooper came to the dealership looking for me and to grill me about this.
He said he could find absolutely zero on me. Nothing at the DPS, nothing at the OSBI, and not even anything at the FBI. He said the only thing he could figure was that someone poked the wrong button and deleted my history. So in spite of history and my deliberate attempt to fail the test they certified me anyway.

So from about 35-40 tickets in total I ended up with a pure as the driven snow driving record.
If this can happen with law enforcement it can certainly occur with CF or AutoChek.

1 Like

How old was this carfax report that the OP was shown. The one’s available on the dealer’s website are usually linked from Carfax itself, just looked up one through the local ford dealer and at the bottom it said

" This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of 9/26/19 at 12:13:02 AM (CDT). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car."

I may have said this before but I know a guy who bought a brand new car & kept it well maintained 5 years later he wanted to sell it so he got all his maintenance records together & pulled a carfax report as a selling point carfax report stated that the car had been stolen & totaled 3 years before. Personally I would not trust a carfax report.

Some years ago I ran a CF report on a couple of vehicles I used to own.
The Subaru had been on a Salvage Title for 8 years and the CF showed a clean title.

The SAAB was shown to be “stolen” even though I bought it from the original owner; an AIr Force captain who said it had never been heisted. The local DMV also showed it to have never been stolen.

So many people rely on Carfax as the truth to what they are buying. Carfax is ONE tool…and they don’t collect enough data for it to be useful. By their own admission they collect data on less then 10% of all accidents and car repairs. If an accident IS reported on Carfax it’s probably accurate. The problem is - what’s NOT reported.

Buried at the very bottom of the CF home page is their out. Cut and pasted below. I doubt anyone ever reads that far or stops to think it over even if they do get that far.

CARFAX Vehicle History products and services are based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. Use the CARFAX search as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used ca

1 Like

I always read a CarFax if it is available. I bought a used car for my daughter to use at school. I found a great deal on two year old Cobalt, but it only had 14,000 miles on it. I checked the CarFax and there were no big gaps in mileage, as would happen if it was in a serious accident. In this case, the previous owner had it serviced at the dealer, and the dealer logged every visit. It seemed like a good bet as well as a good bargain. Seven years later it’s still. Reliable commuter for her.

Since convertibles are so popular in Hawaii maybe it was a rental that got rotated out because of age. If there’s a glut of used convertibles in Hawaii it would make sense that it would get put on a ship for California.

1 Like