2005 car w/ Black color - gets hot easier

if I were to drive interstate, compared to say white or different color?

Acura car - considering buying it.

I am in Northern CA.

On the interstate it won’t be as much of a problem, as the wind passing over the car will cool it down. But, in a parking lot is will really heat up faster. Either way it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Yes, black cars get hotter than white cars. This has been known since the days of Henry Ford. And so what? If you’re getting a good deal on the car you want, the color ought not be a consideration.

You won’t notice it.

Oh, yes, you will. Not much gets hotter than a black car. If you don’t believe me, park a black car in the sun for an hour, then put your hand on the roof.

Hot, isn’t it?

Now do the same thing with a white car.

The roof of a white car will not feel hot, because light colors reflect light and heat, and dark colors absorb light and heat.

Simple.

A black car will always be hotter than a white car, inside and out. Driving on the interstate has no effect. The sun is still shining on the car, and a dark car will still be absorbing the sun’s energy.

The only time it won’t matter is after sunset, and before sunrise.

Without a doubt, as well as effectivness of air conditioning. Silver is an oustanding reflective color as well.
Yes you will notice it…but effective in the winter in a positive way.

On the interstate the difference is slight. Parked the difference is noticable but not a show stopper.

Silver is a great reflective color but hard to see at times . . . just ask James Dean. Black cars will get hot and retain it the heat . . . I can’t document it but I felt that any dark blue or black cars I’ve ever rented had weak A/C/ systems . . . and I attributed this to the heat retained by the dark body. McP is correct . . . and I think we have a test here . . . who has a temp gun? Walk through a parking lot and measure a black car roof vs. a white car roof at high Noon. Rocketman

I have no data or studies to back it up, but I think interior color has more effect than the exterior paint color. That would be true moving or parked.

I agree with beadsandbeads. No studies to back it up but unless you spend a lot of time sitting on the hood or roof of your car while it’s parked in the sun, this is not something that you’ll notice to a signficant degree. We’ve had a black Nissan Maxima for almost 10 years, and this is not an issue – even in our hot Southern summers.

While yes, this is really not a significant issue anymore. I’ve got two black cars and never notice much difference. As far as safety goes, silver cars and then white cars are the hardest to see in fog, rain and snow. They almost disappear to other drivers.

I would say that you’ll notice the temperature difference with a darker interior color more than an exterior color. My previous two vehicles had a light gray, and then a tan interior. I now have a very dark gray (almost black in spots) interior, and boy does that thing heat up quickly!! Neither of the other interiors got that hot that fast.