So, how weird is this?
I’ve had this Aveo for about eight years. At some point before I bought it, some tote-the-note dealership installed a Pass Time unit on it. It’s only ever been an inconvenience when starting the engine. I had to wait for it to beep twice first. No big deal. Last week, the unit decided to stop working. I had to remove it and rewire the ignition in a laundromat parking lot. I managed to start the car and get it home, but when I go to shut the engine off, it keeps running. All the accessories go off, but the engine runs. I double checked the wiring and it’s good.
While in the parking lot, I pulled the hot wire off the battery to try to stop the car like an idiot. Later, when I had my wits about me, I pulled the DIS INJECTOR fuse to do it. Here’s where it gets weird: All the problems go away when the DIS INJECTOR fuse is removed. The electronics work correctly, it starts, it drives, it dies when shut off. Without that fuse, it drives like a normal car.
W… T… F…
I also noticed there’s a parasitic draw on the battery when the car is not running. There’s a faint high-pitched ringing, too. I traced it to the alternator. I’m guessing I blew a diode when I pulled the hot wire (which is a shame because the alternator is only two months old).
But all this adds up to a very strange electrical situation that I think was caused by or covered up by the Pass Time GPS device. Now, I’m worried that if I drive it, I will die a fiery death.
Advice much appreciated.