2005 325xi BMW Car Running Very Rough; Shaking Intermittently

Hi: I have a 2005 325xi BMW with 31,000 miles I get regular oil changes. Recently the engine seems to be running a little rough. The other day, after driving about 15 miles, the car started shaking and getting progressively worse. At first it seemed like the tires, but later it seemed like the engine. Also, when I accelerate, it seemed to get more rough, but again, not all the time. Last night, it was the worse yet. After I left the car for 2 hours, it didn’t happen right away. Then it did again, but with 2 more miles to go til home, it stopped! Mechanic can’t take me until the Monday after Thanksgiving. Not sure if it’s the fuel pump, fuel filter or even something wth the wheels (sway bar?)?? I’d be grateful for any help! Thanks!

Over and above oil changes, what can you tell us about the other maintenance that this car has received over the past 3 years or so? For that matter, how often are those “regular” oil changes?

When you come to a stop light, do you still feel the shaking, or is it only while the car is moving?

Also–is the Check Engine Light on? If so, is it on steadily, or is it blinking/flashing?

I just bought the car this Summer and did not receive the previous maintenance records. Previous family drove it as a 2nd car, from what I am told. No Check Engine light has come on at all. My mechanic told me that it won’t unless it’s an emissions problem. I had the oil changed in July It’s due back in 1,000 miles. Most of the time, the engine calms down somewhat when I come to a stop, but not completely. As I said, it was doing this last night, and then 2 miles before home, it stopped!! Thanks!

There are a lot of possibilities. Most are ignition related, and since those are moitored by the OBD system to ensure reduced emissions, they’ll almost always set a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).

This has ths sound of a possible failure of fuel supply, and that doesn’t always trip a light, so that’s certainly a possibility.

Let us know what the mechanic found. We do care.

A Car That Is 6 Or 7 Years Old With 31,000 Miles ? That’s Very Low Miles Of Driving, Less Than 5,000 Miles Per Year.

This car does waaay more sitting than driving. I’d try some fuel cleaner (Chevron Techron ?) and some gas line drier (Dry Gas, for one) added to a fairly full gas tank. An auto parts store employee can help you select something that won’t harm your car or the catalytic converter (read the labels on the bottles).

CSA

When You Go To The Dealer, Have Them Check For Any “Open” Recalls (Ones That Apply, But Have Not Been Done). I See One For Some 2005 (Possibly ?) 325i s Involving Failed BREMI Ignition Coils.

This may or may not apply to your car and may or may not have been performed. It would cause a misfire, but I’d be really surprised that it would not illuminate the “Check Engine” Light.

CSA

“At first it seemed like the tires…Not sure if it’s the fuel pump, fuel filter or even something wth the wheels (sway bar?)…Most of the time, the engine calms down somewhat when I come to a stop, but not completely.”

If this problem was in any way related to tires, wheels, anti-sway bar, or any other suspension component, you would not be experiencing the problem after the car comes to a stop. As others have suggested, the problem is likely to be a fuel-delivery problem, or possibly an ignition problem.

Also, I don’t think you realize that, when a vehicle is driven as little as yours is, it needs to have its oil changed on the basis of elapsed time, rather than on the basis of odometer mileage. While it might not have any bearing on your current problem, it is very possible that this 7 year old car has a huge accumulation of damaging oil sludge built up inside the engine, and engines with an oil sludge accumulation come to an early–and expensive–demise.

I strongly suggest that you begin changing your oil on the basis of elapsed time, rather than on the basis of odometer mileage. If this car is used mostly for local/short-trip driving, you should change the oil at least every 6 months, although personally I would do it every 4 months.

Did you buy the car from a reputable dealership? I have heard that some of the more sleazy used car sellers will actually disable the check engine light. When you turn on the car and all the dash lights go on, does the check engine light illuminate?

" When you turn on the car and all the dash lights go on, does the check engine light illuminate? "

That is also my question.  If the CEL does not come on for a few seconds when you start the car, that is an indication that a prior owner used the "electrical tape fix"  They may have been sticking their head in the sand or more likely wanted to dump the car and did no want you to know there was a problem.

Did you ever get it fixed? if so what was it?

@AF325 - Do you have a problem with your vehicle ? If so start your own thread with as complete explanation as you can and you will receive answers to your situation. That way people don’t have to wade through a 5 year old thread that may not match what you need.