2004 subaru impreza outback intermittent starting problems

This happens randomly when starting, it turns over and starts but we have to keep the RPM’s up for 10 to 20 minutes or it just dies. Then we shut it off after reaching our destination and it may or may not do it again. Then it will start for 10 or 20 times before happening again. This usually happens to y wife so I don’t have too much more info. 98000 miles…any help would be appreciated!!!

If you look through the service schedule in the owner’s manual, is ALL of the maintenance up to date? Is anything almost due - e.g. 100K mile service coming up?

Is the check engine light on?

Keeping the RPMs up involves operating the throttle. A car that won’t run without some foot on the pedal often means a malfunctioning idle air control valve. It may be getting stuck closed either from a wiring issue or just being gunked up and sticky. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to have it cleaned and inspected.

Or the car is just not running well for some other reason (spark, fuel, bad coolant temp sensor…) and that’s why it won’t maintain idle.

“If you look through the service schedule in the owner’s manual, is ALL of the maintenance up to date? Is anything almost due - e.g. 100K mile service coming up?”

Actually, the 90k service is the really big one, and that is due at 90 months, even if the odometer is nowhere near 90k miles. If the 90k service was not done, then it is now ~2 1/2 years overdue.

OP–What can you tell us (in detail) regarding this car’s maintenance?
And…Is the Check Engine Light lit up?

Actually, the 90k service is the really big one, and that is due at 90 months, even if the odometer is nowhere near 90k miles. If the 90k service was not done, then it is now ~2 1/2 years overdue.

It does often pay to have a VDCdriver around!

:-))

Thanks, cigroller!

Now…what can the OP tell us…?

Good comments above. Also, a sticking EGR or IAC might be the problem.

ok the engine light does not stay on during this rough running but if you dont gas it it will die, I do the small general maintenance on the car but not that mechanically inclinedfor further testing of many thnings. I will read the service booklet and see what else needs to be done at this stage, and I will try the suggestions for -Idle air control valve / sticking EGR andIAC…Hopefully after this I’ll know more, I hope!!!