2004 Saturn Ion 2: Does the catalytic converter *have to be* so much?

MikeinNH

Most people on the planet with i.q. at that level work as menial laborers.

Where the heck did you pull that stat from?? I’d love to see the data on that one

Mensa supplied that fact many years ago. The USA, which is all both of you mentioned, only involves 5% of the world’s population of around 7 billion. Your anecdotal references involve only USA and MIT. Mine explicitly said “on the planet.” I suggest getting a globe and noticing there is more to the planet then the USA. Places like Tibet; India; rural Africa; Tierra del Fuego; China; the Arctic regions, and more. Even in the USA, most high i.q. people do very little with their lives for a variety of social and political reasons.

Yeah, irlandes prolly overstated his case when he said “most” Mensas did manual labor. You then grossly overstated in the other direction, and I called you on it.

No, I did not overstate anything. Both of you simply changed what I said, to something else, then argued against it. “Menial labor” became manual labor, sigh! “On the planet” became MIT and the USA. Sigh.

By the way, ‘mensa’ in Latin means table.

Let me say again most of the ‘competent’ people you know, the folks you want to fix your car or build your house are usually in the 120 to 130 range. No one need be ashamed of 120 or 130 i.q., which is far from being dumb; nor need anyone be ashamed of a high i.q. You are what you are. Make the best of what you have. I did not in my life, solely for lack of social skills.

And, one last note. Most people, as we have seen here, are hostile to any discussion of high i.q. But, all when their young daughter gets cancer beg and pray for a high i.q. doctor.

I frankly haven’t thoroughly read either side of these vaguely eugenics-y debates. But I will say that I’m not sure if: 1) the folks hanging out on car talk forums are a good representative sample of most people and; 2) if we have proven that anybody is really hostile to discussions of high IQs; maybe they are just hostile toward truculence.

Can’t we all just get along? And can’t we start recommending some quality grade brands of cats? (Note how that last question was on topic.)

@Barkydog, coming in with the inspiration.

Walker and Magnaflow are a couple of brand names but there are many good ones out there. They all have to meet Federal requirements and converters, just like countless other car parts, are often produced by a company producing them as both factory originals and under a dozen different aftermarket brand names.
The stamping or packaging will be the only difference.

@jamhost76,

Like ok4450 said, Walker and Magnaflow are good products. I don’t know if other brands are available in your area, but I use both of them regularly.

I agree your mechanic should at least talk to you about other options and see if you can come to some agreement. I stated before that as a rule I don’t install outside parts, but rules always have exceptions. Just today we installed 4 shock absorbers that a guy brought in.