2004 Saturn Ion 2: Does the catalytic converter *have to be* so much?

He didn’t want the mechanic to put the parts on, only blast the rotors loose. He didn’t have much money for anything.

If a shop won’t install the parts I bring them, they don’t get my business. I have no problem with a shop not being able to warranty a part I bring them though. I just have an irrational fear of shopd using cheap white box crap that’s just good enough to get through the 30 day warranty period. Fortunately I have two shops close by that will gladly install whatever I bring, and I bring parts that are of higher quality that the shops typically use anyway.

@irlandes, the problem with that scenario is that shops are faced with potential freebies every day and on a repeat basis.

So where would this apparently non-operative vehicle be sitting after the rotors were removed for free? Tying up stall or parking lot space?

Do shops generally take exception to functioning as a “subcontractor” to do a particular portion of a job that requires a specialized tool?

I’ve paid shops to press wheel bearings in and out, no problem. I’ve also had a muffler shop weld the trunk striker back on (again, no problem, but looking back on it, I think the tech took it as a “side job” and hid it from the boss…at 17, I was still a bit naive to catch that).

(As for the rusty rotor guy, you can remove the caliper and use a nut+bolt through the caliper bracket to put a lot of torque on it…worked for me when a two-jaw puller failed rather than budge the rotor. You’ll need to cut the bolt, as it will mushroom enough to make unthreading the nut impossible!)

So where would this apparently non-operative vehicle be sitting after the rotors were removed for free? Tying up stall or parking lot space?

I have no idea. I wondered about that, too. He is extremely high i.q, like 180 or more,and as a former officer of Mensa, I can tell you very few 180’s have enough common sense to pound sand down a rat hole…

The good news was, he went to TSC, got a puller, and now is a better mechanic for doing it.

LET ME SAY AGAIN HE WAS NOT ASKING FOR FREE ANYTHING. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO PAY NORMAL LABOR RATES FOR THE JOB. I THINK I PLAINLY SAID THAT BEFORE. IF I DID NOT, I APOLOGIZE, BUT I MADE AN EFFORT TO SPELL THAT OUT.

@irlandes

“I can tell you very few 180’s have enough common sense to pound sand down a rat hole…”

Huh?!

I thought to be a member of Mensa, you have to have genius level IQ . . .

“If a shop won’t install the parts I bring them, they don’t get my business. I have no problem with a shop not being able to warranty a part I bring them though. I just have an irrational fear of shopd using cheap white box crap that’s just good enough to get through the 30 day warranty period.”

30 day warranty? Didn’t that disappear 20 years ago? With very few exceptions anything done here carries a 12month/12,000mile warranty. And many independent shops around me are going 24/24 to gain market share.

The reasons I have a general policy against using customer supplied parts is that they are often inferior to the parts I would use, not the other way around. Also, as often as not they tended to be incomplete or wrong. Third, people often assume that they can look at an estimate including parts and labor, bring their own parts, and get the work done for the labor quoted. That’s just not how it works.

Yes, db, but that is only around 140 depending upon the test. My point is a person can be a ‘genius’ and still have no common sense nor usable skills. They are not the same thing.

Einstein was famous for going on walks, thinking hard about his math stuff, and when he came to himself had to ask for directions back to his house. Seriously.

A high i.q. man can be the most brilliant medical doctor of his generation and have no idea how to check the oil on his car, nor what the blinking oil light means.

Mensa requires a score in the top 2% on any valid i.q. test. Most people on the planet with i.q. at that level work as menial laborers. Being able to score high on an i.q. test does not make you productive nor prosperous. There are too many emotional and social issues involved.

Most of us usually find the most capable people we know have an i.q. around 120 to 130, but have plenty of motivation.

A major problem with using customer supplied parts is that a pretty fair number of customers who will stand there and gladly acknowledge that there will be no warranty on that customer provided part before the work commences will do an instant 180 if something goes wrong. They will then raise hxxx at the counter or start telling everyone they know that they were ripped off.

Regarding those high IQ people, my youngest son is a senior accountant in charge of certain financial areas and he has to deal with college professors almost daily over finances. It doesn’t matter if it’s illegal under state law, unethical, or just plain stupidity on their part; they don’t care and either can’t or won’t understand the situation.

There’s hardly a day goes by that he doesn’t end up in a scuffle with one of them; often accompanied by his questioning their maternal ancestry and telling them where to go and what to do when they get there.
It wasn’t too long ago that one of them threatened to stage a sit-in and block the doorway and my memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I think a couple of years ago one threatened to blow the place up or burn it down. Ego and tenure run amok…

Most people on the planet with i.q. at that level work as menial laborers.

Where the heck did you pull that stat from?? I’d love to see the data on that one.

My daughter has her BS from MIT and just finished her MS from Harvard…I’ve met many people who went to MIT…both from her friends and school and several colleagues. Most (with very few exceptions) have no interest in anything menial. Most get bored doing anything menial. That’s why it’s NOT at the top of their list of things to do (i.e. change the oil on a car).

@MIKEINNH:

I’m a dues-paying Mensa member, and probably 85% of the hours I’ve worked were manual labor. If it paid on par with skilled labor or “white collar” work, I’d probably NEVER do any other sort of work!

It has a lot of positives: you can eat damn near anything and not get obese; you can “multi-task” your workout and job into one; your brain and thoughts are your own–daydream about particle physics if that’s your bag; outdoor labor keeps you grounded in the natural world; you’re a free man one you punch out–the company could be overrun by zombies and nobody’ll hassle you about it; your co-workers are unlikely to be effete prissies, kvetching about how your habits contribute to their “bourgeois malaise.”

I think I’d need around 150% salary surplus to make me want to work inside, in an office, wearing a tie. I highly reccomend physical labor to anybody still in posession of their brawn.

I'm a dues-paying Mensa member, and probably 85% of the hours I've worked were manual labor. If it paid on par with skilled labor or "white collar" work, I'd probably NEVER do any other sort of work!

That’s ONE…which statistically means NOTHING.

I think I'd need around 150% salary surplus to make me want to work inside, in an office, wearing a tie.

I work inside and I RARELY wear a tie…Most of the time I’m in jeans or shorts.

It has a lot of positives: you can eat damn near anything and not get obese; you can "multi-task" your workout and job into one; your brain and thoughts are your own--daydream about particle physics if that's your bag

You can daydream about particle physics…but that’s about it. You’ll NEVER be able to actually do any meaningful work in particle physics.

As for physical labor…I agree that many people in my field are NOT what you’d call physically fit. But there are some of us who are. I work out 6 days a week…Weight lift and/or run. Back in my 30’s I was into powerlifting…but stopped that when I reached 50. You don’t have to work outdoors to be in good shape. It’s all about finding the time and setting priorities.

Hey, you were the one who implied high IQs and manual labor were mutually exclusive…all I did was showed how, in one particular instance, they function as part of a coherent and consistent world view.

If this subject is sufficiently important to you that you need two-sigma statistical validity, you can do the heavy lifting, as it’s not particarly important to me.

I may be a Mensa member, but hardly an enthusiastic one. I really just joined for the belt buckle! (Actually, I joined as a result of a medical disagreement. Difference of opinion, and–while having sufficient knowledge, I had a defecit of third-party accredidation of said knowledge. I have always held such accredidation in contempt; unfortunately for me, the rest of the world doesn’t)

All that aside, though, they DO have really cool belt buckles!

"Third, people often assume that they can look at an estimate including parts and labor, bring their own parts, and get the work done for the labor quoted. That’s just not how it works. "

That’s the way it generally goes with the shop I use. I bring them what I want installed and they install it for labor and the usual shop supply fees and such. And I fully understand that they cannot warranty the part I bring them. But like I said before, I don’t buy low quality parts, and I’ve never brought a part that wasn’t correct for my car. I’ve only been burned by this once. The ABS/Traction control module for my car went bad and I procured a new unit and paid a shop for labor it install it. They did so, but the unit was bad, so I had to pay again for them to install a working one (which I also supplied). I had no problems with this as I knew it was a possibilty.

However I can see it from the mechanic’s point of view as well, I’m sure there are customers who will come in with $9.99 chinese brake rotors in a Pep Boys bag and get pissed when they warp two weeks later and try to place the blame on the shop.

Just an aside here ;
Look in a spanish/english dictionary and find the meaning of
’mensa’
or you’ll find it listed under its masculine, ‘menso’.

My spanish speaking wife really wonders why those ‘‘geniuses’’ chose that name, or if it’s an acronym, did they not realize the resulting word ?

Hey, you were the one who implied high IQs and manual labor were mutually exclusive...all I did was showed how, in one particular instance, they function as part of a coherent and consistent world view.

WHAT??? For someone with a self proclaimed HI IQ…You have a reading comprehension problem…

Show me where I made any such statement. Try arguing against something I actually said…not something made up.

I’ve read that J. Robert Oppenheimer, another genius, had a reputation for breaking physics lab equipment when he was a student.
I’m guessing people didn’t want him to lay hands on the “gadget”.

@MikeInNH: in compliance with your specific request, reference your very own post at 8:03AM.

You said,

Most (with very few exceptions) have no interest in anything menial. Most get bored doing anything menial.
True, I was slightly sloppy in my one-sentence summary, turning “very few” into “no exceptions,” but hey: the underlying meaning was conveyed with only a slight increase in emphasis. (or do you now deny making that post?)

I might add, you said that RATHER RUDELY in re: irlande’s prior post; additionally, it is HIGHLY OFFENSIVE to be told–BY AN OUTSIDER–how one does or does not behave, i.e.: “It’s common knoledge that {a particular segment of society at large} {behaves in a certain manner}.” (If it helps your comprehension any, re-read the example using an ethnic minority and an ethnic stereotype…it’s offensive, regardless, ethnic or not.)

So, I responded that AT LEAST ONE Mensa member seeks out physical labor, and why. It was not meant as a statistically valid sample, yet you responded with an irrelevant rebuttal to sample size. (Again, as rudely as you could…I suppose one has to go with one’s strenghts, right?) Also absurd trivia about “not wearing a tie.”

So, you’ve acted unprovokedly rude to two memebers, (poorly) countered my arguments with quibbles over minutia (ties and shades of emphasis)–either that or you cannot comprehend your own writing! I guess you think you “wrench like Mr. Goodwrench, with a brain like Stephen Hawking,” when you actually “wrench like Stephen Hawking, with a brain like Mr. Goodwrench.”

The first axiom of slinging insults is, “if you dish it out, you must be able to take it.” Unless you care to be on the receiving end, I highly suggest you edit your previous post for tone.

Most (with very few exceptions) have no interest in anything menial. Most get bored doing anything menial.

True, I was slightly sloppy in my one-sentence summary, turning “very few” into “no exceptions,” but hey: the underlying meaning was conveyed with only a slight increase in emphasis. (or do you now deny making that post?)

And how does my statement mean that HI IQ and menial labor are mutual exclusive??..as YOU THINK I SAID. You can have a high IQ and do menial labor…Never said other wise. Never implied otherwise. All I questioned was irlandes statement when he said that "Mensa requires a score in the top 2% on any valid i.q. test. Most people on the planet with i.q. at that level work as menial laborers. ". And I responded with from my OWN personal experience that people with HI IQ’s do NOT do menial labor for a living. How you can interpret what I said to mean that HI IQ and menial labor is mutual exclusive is absurd.

So, I responded that AT LEAST ONE Mensa member seeks out physical labor, and why.

You really are great at NOT show the whole thread…and just one part that changes the meaning completely.

You were responding to MY remark about how I questioned irlands on the stats of that he said “Most people on the planet with HI i.q. at that level work as menial laborers.” All I questioned was how he came up with that statistic. One person seeking out physical labor does NOT support irlandes claim that MOST people with high IQ’s do menial labor.

Also absurd trivia about "not wearing a tie.

YOU’RE the one who mentioned about wearing a tie…NOT ME…

Do you deny saying this…

I think I'd need around 150% salary surplus to make me want to work inside, in an office, wearing a tie.

Try reading the WHOLE thread…and post back when you actually understand it.

quoth Mikey:

…people with HI IQ’s do NOT do menial labor for a living

quoth Mikey, in the very next sentence:
How you can interpret what I said to mean that HI IQ and menial labor is mutual[ly] exclusive is absurd.{SIC}

Q, 2 da
E, 2 da
D.

Yeah, irlandes prolly overstated his case when he said “most” Mensas did manual labor. You then grossly overstated in the other direction, and I called you on it.