2004 Pontiac Aztek - Jumps

Kinda jumps when I start to drive or out in gear

Ummm, can you elaborate a little more??

Welcomeā€¦

My crystal ball says you have broken engine/trans mount(s)ā€¦?..

1 Like

Clean inside of throttlebore. And backside of butterfly.

We would need a little more info to give you better answers.
but if the engine revs after you put it in gear and then jumps, then I would say you are low on tranny fluid from a leak, or the transmission has problems.

@Aztekwoman, welcome. It looks like you maybe thought you were entering into a search box and looking for search results. But on the other end here, itā€™s just a bunch of folks who like talking about cars and helping people with car issues.

So think of it that way and lay it all out like youā€™re explaining it someone else (but to ā€œsomeonesā€ who canā€™t actually look at or drive the car).

For best help here, suggest to include the engine & trans configuration, and the mileage. Are you saying this ā€œjumpā€ sensation happens when you shift from P into D? Or is is when you are already in D, but stopped, like at a stop sign, then when you let off the brake and press on the gas you sense a ā€œjumpā€? What do you mean by ā€œout in gearā€? Do you mean you also sense a jump sometimes when youā€™ve been already driving at 35 mph for some time? If so, does the jump correspond to a gear shift? Do you hear any unusual sound at the same times as
the jump, like youā€™d hear driving over a rumble strip?

3.4L V6 with a 4T65E automatic transmission, only optionā€¦

But AWD is an option and mileage would be helpful as you pointed outā€¦

1 Like

Those 4T65Es were tricky as far as I can tell. Iā€™ve got no claim to any transmission expertise. But I had one once ('00 Olds Silhouette van). The trans had issues, even after GM put a rebuild in it under warranty (owner previous to me). My searching for solutions told me that theyā€™re great when they work. But that no one knew what to do with them when they didnā€™t - other than to just order a rebuild. (Mine was the very common P1811. All my very experienced local trans shop would say is that theyā€™d install another rebuild, but I didnā€™t see the point in that. I did find a work-around, which was basically a hack - part of a shift kit - but it worked. The van went to scrap when it blew a head gasket).

Anyway, that contributes nothing to help the OPā€¦Iā€™d imagine. And I second the WAG of mounts.

A lot of the problem(s) as with a lot of transmissions (not all) is in the valve body, a lot of shops just put them back stockā€¦ Always need to do the VB upgrades/fixesā€¦ Also there are upgraded 1-2 & 2-3 & 4th Accumulator Pistons as well as the Actuator Feed Limit Valve repair/replacementā€¦

Here is 1 of 4 fixā€™s of the causes for the 1997 and up 4T65E failure, on top of the normal repairs neededā€¦

2 Likes

Youā€™d know better than I.

In my case the ā€œpart of a shift kitā€ hack I referenced was just installing those new/upgraded accumulator springs from that transgo kit. The springs could be done easily with just a pan drop. No valve body work and certainly no total rebuild. (So the rest of the transgo kit went unused). Just the upgraded springs totally workedā€¦for as long as I needed them to.

1 Like

Yeah it amazes me as to how many transmission builders and shops do not use the TransGo VB kits etc, it will fix a lot of the issues before they become issues, everybody just wants to slap a overhaul kit and what ever hard part was damaged due to flow issues in the transmission and ship it, very few want to fix the real issue to start withā€¦ I was taught to find the root cause and fix it, not just slap it back together with common new parts and hope for the bestā€¦

The OP hasnā€™t returned after 2 days to clarify her somewhat cryptic ā€œexplanationā€ of her carā€™s behavior. While it is tempting to go on about possible transmission problems, we donā€™t really have a good understanding of her car problem, and her situation might not be at all transmission related. Unless she returns with a more detailed explanation, I think that further responses are not necessarily going to help her.

1 Like

I agree, cigroller and I were just talking about the 4T65E transmission in general, not the OPā€™s, (cause you know this is probably another one and done post) after I let George know what the eng/tran options were or lack there ofā€¦ lol

I am still going with my 1st post of the crystal ball guess until, if ever, the OP gives more detailed infoā€¦ :wink:

My equinox w/3.4 has an Aisin af-33. Made by toyo subsidiary. Always been a good trans. So not every 3.4 has 4t60

Aisin Corporation (ę Ŗ式会ē¤¾ć‚¢ć‚¤ć‚·ćƒ³, Kabushiki gaishaAishin) is a Japanese corporation that develops and produces components and systems for the automotive industry. Aisin is a Fortune Global 500 company, ranked 359 on the 2020 rankings.[5] Aisin is a member of the Toyota Group of companies.

I believe some Vues had the Honda V6 . . .

If threads around here donā€™t go off on tangents, thatā€™s when Iā€™m surprised. :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised someone admits they have an Aztec!
Little late for me to be postingšŸ¤Ŗ