2004 Nissan Timing Belt

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier with 65,000 miles on it. Today while getting an oil change the mechanic said they recommend changing the timing belt at 100,000 miles or 11 years of age. Is the 11 year recommendation a good guide or is it o.k. to just go on milage?

Change it soon. You are on borrowed time.

Ditto; and personally I think both time and mileage recommendations are garbage as there are other factors involved in belt life along with the gambling and praying part of the equation.

Many of the experts here have said 7 years max for a timing belt.

On the basis of elapsed time, you are already a few years overdue.
If you don’t believe me, take a look at the Nissan maintenance schedule that should be sitting in your glove compartment.

If the car has spent its whole life in the mild climate of the Seattle area I’m comfortable stretching it to 10 years but no more. Any harsh weather conditions and it’s 7 years. And all bets are off if there are any signs of oil or coolant seepage that could contact the belt.

It’s a rubber belt, and it’s going to deteriorate with age whether the car is driven or not.

What does your owner’s manual say? We don’t all have your manual sitting in front of us.

“You are on borrowed time.”

Agreed. Your vehicle was probably built in 2003. That belt needs to be changed ASAP.

Do you have the 3.3L V-6 engine?

Agree; the time limit has been passed a while back. Rubber deteriorates with age and 11 years is plenty.

I don’t think that 7 year old tires will be safe due to solar exposure and heat. A timing belt or accessory belt exposed to a lot more heat and stress is not likely in any better shape than tires at that age.

There’s always that nagging issue of what happens if the belt gives up instantly in freeway traffic with a vehicle behind in the usual position at 70 MPH; 2 car lengths back. The broken belt vehicle would be rammed before the driver even realized what happened.

The 4-cyl has a timing chain and the V6 has a timing belt. The V6 is also an interference engine. If the belt fails, you will at least need a new engine. I would change the belt now, as in as soon as you can get it in. Next week is not too soon.