2004 Mazda6 cracked camshaft

Last week, I took our 2004 Mazda6 (69,000 miles) to the dealer for an oil change. When driving home from the dealer, the car stalled on the highway and would not restart. The dealer towed it back for service, and they indicated it needed a new starter, which they replaced for $400. Upon leaving the dealer the next day, I heard a rattling noise in the engine, and immediately called the dealer. I was told “our tech heard that rattling, sorry, we should have told you. It’s nothing to worry about, and will get better”. The noise got worse, and the engine light went on. I had the dealer tow it back to their shop as I did not want to drive it since it got worse. They now say it has a cracked camshaft, and is going to cost $4,000 to replace. Does this sound believable to anyone? First off, I’m not sure that the started needed to be replaced. Secondly, I don’t know how/why the camshaft would have cracked, and wonder if there could have been something done wrong by the dealer when taken in for the original oil change.

did you check your oil after getting your car back? They may have forgotten to? You may want to replace the engine or vehicle which ever suits you.

Cracked camshaft my buns. They left the oil pan plug loose (and the oil drained) or the engine dry and are now trying to cover their rears.

First off, camshafts don’t “crack”.
Second, the stalling was likely a dry bearing seizing. They got it freed (I’ve done this, but never with the intention of pretending the engine was fixed), and you then heard the resultant damage (the rattling) and the “blew you off” hoping it wouldn’t seize again and you’d go away.

You need an independent evaluation and a lawyer.

Sincere best of luck.

I agree–as I usually do–with mountainbike.

The probability of a “cracked camshaft” is near zero. On the other hand, the probability of engine damage from a botched oil change is significantly higher. Have the car towed to the independent mechanic with the best reputation in your area for a tear-down of the engine, and then be prepared to contact a lawyer skilled in litigation.

Thanks.
When I read Diane’s post it really upset me. I sincerely hope she finds justice at the end.

Sounds like unadulterated BS to me and I agree with this likely being a lack of oil problem; either not filling it properly after the oil change, leaving the drain plug or filter loose, etc.

There are several ways a camshaft can crack:
Metallurgical fault - not likely at all.
Severe overheating leading to metal crystallization - again, not likely.
Lack of oil leading the camshaft to bind in the cam bushing surface - more than likely considering the oil change, rattling, etc.
That’s assuming the cam is even cracked; and that is pretty iffy at the moment.

You need to stop the works there right this minute and bring in an outside source to look at this car before authorizing anything; and especially 4 grand for a camshaft.
Do you know a reasonably mechanically inclined person who could go with you to inspect this problem? If not, what about finding a good tech, pay him a few bucks to drop by there, and eyeball this thing?

I have a feeling that if you spend 4 grand (obscene anyway) to replace the camshaft you’re going to wind up with a rattling, junk engine with a new cam.

Agree with everybody/ Just to add, the first stall could NOT have been from a bad starter.

My Mazda 6 needs a new engine after 81k. Mazda offering no help. Car was well maintained, no low oil, never red-lined, no modifications. Just a crappy engine. This is a COMMON problem, and Mazda will NOT stand behind it! I have seen posts on Mazda not covering this under warranty, claiming poor maintenance when people have a claim. I am done with Mazdas.