2004 Hyundai tiburon transmission slipping

My car has 52k miles on it and is an automatic. Recently it started slipping and jerking whenever it goes from 2nd to 3rd gear. Sometimes it doesnt happen, sometimes it clunks and jerks a bit when it does it. What on earth could this be…and please tell me i dont need a new transmission!

Have you checked the level and the color of the transmission fluid, via the transmission dipstick? With any luck, you may just need to add some fluid, but you have to be sure to use the type (Dexron, or ??) specified in the Owner’s Manual.

Whether it is low on fluid or not, is the fluid on the dipstick pinkish-reddish in color, or is it brown? Does it have a burned smell? Brown or burned-smelling fluid is an indication of problems that need to be attended to, pronto.

Has the transmission ever been serviced? Whether the mfr’s maintenance schedule (it should be in your glove box) calls for it or not, trans fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles, so if you have not had this done, then it is time to have the fluid (and filter) changed.

If it turns out that you need something more than just some fluid or a fluid change, remember to check the terms of your warranty. If memory serves me correctly, your powertrain is covered for 100,000 miles–as long as you can prove that the car has been maintained in accordance with the mfr’s maintenance schedule. If you have done what you are supposed to do regarding the car’s maintenance, a transmission overhaul or replacement should cost you ZERO dollars.

I have been having the same problem with my 2004 Tiburon. My car is also around 50K. I recently got my transmission replaced under warranty but I am still having issues with the slipping/jerking feeling. I took my car back two times since and had the Manager road test my car with me. After the road test they took the car in and reset the adaptive values on the engine and the transmission, they also checked the fluid levels and disconnected the battery. After all of this my car is still acting up. I have left a message for the Manager and have yet to hear from him.

Have you had any luck with your car? Does anyone have any advice?

um!

JUST A THOUGHT! 10/100 powertrain waranty.

let me guess ,after this you’ll then tell me your the second owner?

bye

find a new dealer ,you are getting the newbies,poss re flash issue.

good luck

I am the first owner of this car. Can you elaborate what you mean by 10/100 powertrain warranty.

Sorry, I meant to say…What do you mean by poss re flash issue? I don’t know very much about replacing transmissions.

What he is suggesting is that you open your glove compartment, and read the details of the car’s Powertrain Warranty that runs for 10 years/100,000 miles. If you have maintained the car in accordance with the Hyundai Maintenance Schedule, and have documentation of the maintenance, all repairs to the engine and transmission are covered for that span of time/mileage (whichever comes first).

Do you mean to tell us that you are not even aware of that warranty coverage on your car?

Thanks! I am fully aware of my warranty coverage. I have been taking my car in for repairs under warranty but the dealership can’t seem to correct the problem. My car has been properly maintained with Hyundai’s guidelines and everything has been documented. I am extremely frustrated with the amount of times I have had to take my car in complaining about transmission problems.

Prior to my last two visits, I first took my car in when I started noticed hard jolts around 40 and 60. They advised that I had a loose PCV air hose that was then resecured and that my car was fine. I drove home and noticed the hard jolts right away and took the car back in to be advised that they had to replace the transmission. After the transmission was replaced I drove around for a few weeks and noticed soft jolts around 40 and 60. I took my car on the highway for the first time after a few weeks of having the transmission replaced and started noticed a loud rattling nose within the hood of my car. I took the car back to the dealer yet again to be told that they had to re-torque a loose bolt on the right upper strut cover.

This has all been going on for the past 5 months and my car is still not fixed.

What I am looking for is some information about what they might be doing wrong as my car is still jolting/slipping. I was unsure what PO301-PO442 was getting at.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, you need to get Hyundai corporate people involved. Look in your Owner’s Manual for contact information for Customer Care/Factory Zone Rep, or whatever they call the corporate people whom you can involve by calling a toll-free telephone number. With other manufacturers, it is possible to have one of these people meet with you (and inspect your car) at the local dealership. Whether Hyundai does this remains to be seen.

When a dealer’s service department appears to be unable to resolve an issue, or if they are simply “jerking” a customer around, it is appropriate to involve the corporate people. It should be interesting to see whether Hyundai is truly committed to customer service, so please post back after you have met with somebody on this problem.