2004 Honda

used 3 qts of oil in 3000 miles after oil change, no oil under car or on the ground and the car don’t have blue smoke out the tall pipe

How many miles? Could be normal for a 17 year old car. Was this a big increase in use?

Consuming 1 qt per 1,000 miles is actually pretty good for a 17 year old vehicle. There are new and nearly-new vehicles whose mfr states that consumption of 1 qt per 600 miles is “normal”.

That’s because the catalytic converter is “eating” that smoke.

2 Likes

I’d just keep an eye on it, make sure to check the oil regularly and keep it topped off as needed.

The cost of trying to fix this problem at this point would probably exceed the value of the car. And you can buy a whole lot of oil for far less. Just takes a little extra effort and diligence.

4 Likes

The only time I’d be even remotely concerned would be if there were a sudden increase in oil consumption. Otherwise, you’ve received excellent advice.

If that’s true, the car will need a replacement catalytic converters soon.

How soon? The engine in my car has been consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles for the last 9 years.

Smoke from a quart of oil stretched over a distance of 1,000 miles won’t be visible, that is the distance from Chicago, IL to Denver, CO.

Did you check the oil immediately after the oil change. If you didn’t, you don’t know how much they put in.