2003 toyota corolla le/check engine codes po440,441,446

My check engine light came on, toyota performed dianostic and found the following codes came up: PO440, PO441 & PO446. They say it’s an emmisons & fuel problem, and I need a new Fuel Filler Hose. Total cost $530.00. I declined service, & they didn’t reset the check engine light. I replaced the gas cap, light is still on. Is this a necessary repair, or a reasonable amount? If not, how do I shut off the check engine light? Thanks.

Get another opinion from an independent mechanic. You may discover that the problem can be solved for less by staying away form the dealer.

You could have had the codes read for free at some auto parts stores.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

One big reason for these codes is overfilling the gas tank. Always stop on the first click and do not top off.

Good news is that it is often self correcting with time. You may need to get the codes reset, many parts stores like AutoZone will do this for free, or you can disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery for a few minutes to turn it off. If it doesn’t come back, then the canister has purged itself and everything is ok. If it doesn’t work the first time, wait a week and try again, just don’t top off the tank again (if you have been doing that).