2003 Subaru Outback 105,000 maintenance - timing belt

I have a couple questions related to the 105,000 expected maintenance on a 2003 Subaru Outback (4-cyl).

The maintenance schedule indicates that there are two belts that should be replaced - a camshaft belt and a drive belt(s).

My mechanic told me that the camshaft belt is the one usually referred to as a timing belt, and that’s the one to change. My questions are:

(1) What’s the difference between the drive belt(s) and the camshaft, and which really need to be replaced?

(2) The ‘(s)’ behind ‘drive belt’ is odd - how many are there?

(3) When replacing this (or these), is it necessary (or at least prudent) to replace the water pump and thermostat as well. My mechanic recommended both.

(4) Any idea on a price tag for this operation? I was quoted $450 for timing belt, water pump, and thermostat.

Thanks for any help

(1) What’s the difference between the drive belt(s) and the camshaft, and which really need to be replaced?

Well a drive belt could be a CV transmission part, but likely it is the serpentine belt that drives the generator etc. It’s job is to supply power to things like the alternator power steering etc. The Camshaft belt (aka timing belt) moves the valves around in time with the pistons. If it breaks on some cars (I believe yours is one) if it breaks the valves may end up in the path of the piston and do considerable expensive damage to your engine. That is why you don’t put off proactively replacing that one.

(2) The ‘(s)’ behind ‘drive belt’ is odd - how many are there?

I’m not sure of your question.

(3) When replacing this (or these), is it necessary (or at least prudent) to replace the water pump and thermostat as well. My mechanic recommended both.

Yes. Most of the cost is labor and you will just have to pay the same labor the next time when the pump goes, so do it now.

(4) Any idea on a price tag for this operation? I was quoted $450 for timing belt, water pump, and thermostat.

I am no authority on this one, but that sounds reasonable to me.

Mr. Meehan is right on target with his answer. And, I also agree that the price that you were quoted is a very fair one.

Even though the replacement of the drive belt (serpentine belt) is not in the same category of preventing engine damage, I would suggest that you also replace that belt, as you could be stranded if the serpentine belt snaps. When it goes, your alternator stops functioning, and shortly after that, your battery will die. You would also be without power assist for your steering.

Have the serpentine belt replaced also, so that you are not inconvenienced by an unforeseen incident with an old belt–assuming that it has not been replaced in the past few years.

The camshaft belt is the timing belt, as your mechanic said. You cannot see the timing belt when you open the hood. It is covered.

The drive belt(s) are the belts you can see; the belt(s) which drive the alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc. Some engines have one belt that drives all of the accessories (usually referred to as a serpentine belt), and some engines have two, three, or more drive belts.

Yes, replace the water pump and thermostat when the camshaft (timing) belt is replaced. Also, on Subarus it’s a good idea to replace the oil pump seal and the camshaft seals, too. Might as well do them while you’re in there, as you’ll pay the labor all over again if they start leaking a month after the timing belt is replaced.

$450 is about right for this job.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent info. Joe, I was referring to how many drive belts there are on this car… it appears there are two.

Another mechanic that I called for a second estimate mentioned that the tensioner for the camshaft belt as well as the idler pulley also needed replacing with this job. My mechanic said the he would replace the two drive belts, the camshaft belt, the water pump, and the thermostat, but that he just checked the other parts (tensioners, pulleys) - if they looked OK and didn’t have play in them, he preferred to leave the manufacturer’s parts in place. He said that Subaru parts are high quality OE and didn’t see the point in messing with that when all looked good. That’s good news for the wallet, but… any other opinions?

No one mentioned the seals, but I’ll ask.

The decision to change, or not change, certain parts, is a judgement call … neither good, nor bad. My crystal ball is in the celestial repair shop for an overhaul; so, I can’t say, either way. IF you feel better with all new parts, let your mechanic know … with pictures, Presidents’ pictures. // Auto Zone auto parts has the timing belt, with the five idlers, for $200; the tensioner for $61.99. Now would be an excellent time to replace all the hoses, since they have to be removed, anyway, for the timing belt change. Of course, you’ll need a few more pictures; but, this is preventative maintenance. It could relieve you of communing with nature, on the side of the road, at an inopportune time. (Sorry, my crystal ball is still in the repair shop; and I don’t have a backup. DRATS!)