2003 Prius Steering Wheel Problem

My Prius has had a steering wheel problem for over a year. None of the mechanics I’ve taken it to can replicate the problem, which occurs intermittently. One dishonest dealership (I no longer deal with) claimed to have fixed the problem by lubricating the steering wheel column, which is ridiculous, because from what I understand its a sealed system.

What the Steering Wheel Does: When the car has been parked and I go out and start the car and begin to back up and turn around, when the wheel is turning it begins to shudder back and forth in my hands. I straighten out and either that’s that or it shudders again during the next couple of turns I make at low speed.

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON - AS I AM WORRIED ABOUT WHAT KIND OF A SAFETY ISSUE IS INVOLVED.

MANY THANKS, Mary

This sounds to me like a defect in the electrically-assisted power steering on this model.

Some of the forum members (like “CSA”) have access to a database for Technical Service Bulletins. Perhaps there has been a TSB relating to this symptom.

If there is a TSB, that does not necessarily mean that the problem would be fixed free-of-charge, but at least it would point in the right direction for a real fix.

What you describe is not a lubrication issue, as you know, but it may well be a safety issue.

I believe the Prius has electric power steering. You’ll need a Toyota dealer, or an independent mechanic who’s an expert on the Prius, to fix this.

As VDCdriver suggested, check to see if there are any TSBs on this car, and also check with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) to see if there are any recalls.

Yes, yes, yes! This has happened repeatedly to my Prius 2001, too! You’re not crazy! (or at least you’re not crazy about this particular problem.) Watch the attached video to see it happening to my steering wheel. Talk about freaking me out!

The circumstances are exactly the same: the car has been parked overnight, I start it up and begin to back up, and the steering wheel shudders.

You don’t mention exterior temperature as a factor, but mine clearly correlates with lower temperatures. In fact, on the day depicted in the video–mid Nov. 2010–the thermometer had dropped below 0 degrees Farenheit. The little turtle icon stayed on when I turned the car on, indicating that the battery was so cold that I should not try to accelerate suddenly.

Like you, I’ve taken my car to the dealer multiple times, but they have never been able to reproduce it. This time, there were several codes showing in the computer log suggesting problems with the HVECU (the computer unit). The dealership says they will cover 50% of the cost of replaing the steering rack, but they admit that their diagnosis is just a stab in the dark.

I’m surprised that, since this problem has been affecting their cars for quite a few years now, that there has been no technical bulletin on it. Why wouldn’t they have figured out the problem?

Did you show the video to the dealership? Send the video to district service managers.

"You’re not crazy! (or at least you’re not crazy about this particular problem.)"
Nice Touch, Charmaine !

"I’m surprised that, since this problem has been affecting their cars for quite a few years now, that there has been no technical bulletin on it. Why wouldn’t they have figured out the problem? "

I’m not accusing anybody of anything (I know nothing), but once a TSB recognizing a problem goes into print then responsibility goes with it, if you catch my drift.

Besides, a TSB is only designed to help technicians. It’s not a recall, not a campaign, and doesn’t even extend the manufacturer’s warranty unless specified by the maufacturer.

Recalls are for safety issues and not annoyances.

CSA