2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL buzzing/roaring sound from driver's side front tire

Hello, I just recently purchased a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1, and had it for 2 weeks. It only has 42,160 km’s (26,350 miles) and when travelling at highway speed I noticed a roaring/buzzing sound coming from the driver’s side front tire. Could this be a wheel bearing? Separating tire? On my Grand Am, my wheel bearings went at 90,000 k’s isn’t kind of early for a wheel bearing to go, if that’s what it is? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[i]

Could this be a wheel bearing? Separating tire?[/i]

Yes. In fact, it would be my first guess. And you don’t want to mess w/ either of these things so I would figure it out sooner rather than later. If you can jack & safely support the vehicle carefully inspect the tire for strange wear patterns. To get a clue about the bearings, spin the front wheel and listen - should sound like a nice smooth bearing - no scrape or grind. Then wiggle the tire back and forth and see what kind of play you get - should be little to none.

And when the car is jacked up, swap this tire to another position on the car. If the noise moves with the tire, suspect the tire. If the noise stays up front, suspect the bearing.

It could be anything from tire to transmission.