2003 Jeep Liberty. Battery Light Comes On. Unrelated(?) It Wouldn't turn over once

Car Talk Community

I went to the store a couple weeks ago and when I came back out my 2003 Jeep Liberty would not start. Would not even turn over. Just as if the battery were completely dead, but no clicking sound or clattering sound. All lights and accessories worked. I just got a brand new battery about a month ago. Tried jump starting it just in case, even tho accessories worked, but that did not work. I had to leave it sit in a parking lot for 3 days before I could take it to a mechanic. Tried starting it every single day and still had power for lights, etc. But it would not turn over. Towed it to the mechanic and tried starting it when I got there. Same thing. Mechanic called me later that afternoon and when he tried it it started right off no problem whatsoever. He said there was nothing to check because there were no warning lights on and no problem. Have not had any starting problems with it since then.
However, a week or two later my battery light came on. Everything seems to be working fine and when I shut the Jeep off and turned it back on, the battery light went off and stayed off. And it had been off for about a week since.
Yesterday I was driving and the battery light came back on again. Within about 5 minutes the check engine light came on. When I shut the Jeep off and turned it back on again the battery light was off. But check engine light was still on. I decided to drive back home, because I was on my way to South Dakota from Wisconsin and did not want to get stranded. Within about two miles of driving, the battery light came back on. Check engine light was still on at this time.
I took it to a friend who checked it with a computer, I did not shut the engine off when I got there so warning lights stayed on. Code was P1491, so my friend replaced the FAN RELAY.
I drove 600 miles today and everything was fine. 15 miles before I got to my destination the battery light came on again. When I parked it and started it back up again the battery light went off and has not come back on yet. It might be coincidence, but the battery light came on with a warning ding sound at the same moment I turned on the fog lights. Like I said this might be total coincidence. Nothing is dimming and all power seems okay. Cannot figure out what’s going on. Any thoughts?? Is the not turning over issue related to the battery light issue? The battery light was not on during the problem with it not turning over PLEASE HELP! I have to drive from South Dakota to Wisconsin and back a couple more times this winter!

Sounds like your alternator is failing or the drive belt tomthe alternator is failing… Buying a voltmeter that plugs into the power port (cigarette lighter) and keep an eye on it. With the engine off, the battery voltage should be 12.6 volts. Engine running, it should be over 13.6 volts and less than 15 volts.

Sounds like you have a dirty, loose or bad battery cable.

1 Like

Also appears to be a duplicate post…