2002 xg350 crank sensor

ok so my car wouldn’t start…gives me a code po335 crank position sensor.
took it to the shop…they replaced the sensor,and a relay under the dash which controls the starter and other things i believe the alarm system being one of them…now the car has no throttle…what’s next??? mech says he’s going to try a cold restart…to reset everything…
anyone have experience with this sort of thing??? i really can’t afford anything else to be done…are these guys overlooking something?
maybe they don’t know hyundais?
any opinions or tips appreciated!!!

Does it idle but no accelereation ?
Maybe they left something unplugged or dis assembled.

I did this to myself once when I forgot to put the ait inlet schnoz back on the air cleaner after an alternator replacement .
The air flow sensor is in this tube and IT had no clue about needing more air.
It would idle…I could put it in gear and glide down the street but no acceleration.
popped the hood…
slapped myself on the forehead…DOH !
put the tube back on…

yes it idles just dandy but no response from accelerator…hope to find out tomorrow what they find…it’s been there over a week now…

Although this car has an accelerator cable it also has an accelerator position sensor which I believe is under the dash. I’m wondering if they might have disturbed it or the connector to it when they replaced the relay which is also under under the dash. Just a wild guess.

could very well be, they did have some trouble determining which relay was the culprit, and the dealer couldn’t help them…i wonder should i mention it? i have the shop manual as a pdf…would it be insulting to give them a copy? i am paying them after all…

I have conflicting info on this sensor. One says it’s located inside the car , the other says it’s on the intake manifold. I’d mention it anyway.

well, after another few days they say it’s the accelerator control module…they’ve got one coming in from a salvage yard…i’m really beginning to believe these guys have no clue…and the bill keeps rising…is there anything at all that could cause all these things to go bad at once???
if there’s one more thing after this…i’m calling my lawyer…seems to me these guys are fishing for the problem…and don’t really know what they’re doing…
they’re not dealing with an idiot here…if i had the space and my tools at hand…the freakin thing would have been fixed by now…so, i must defer to the local mechanic…who in this case so far seems to be somewhat of a nitwit…or a genius…i’m still gonna be stuck with the bill…but he’s gonna be stuck with a bad rep…unless i find he’s done it proper…which at this point i don’t think he has…i’m gonna hate paying this bill unless someone can prove to me he’s done it right…
i’ll post a copy of the bill once he’s finally figgered it out…
so far a battery, (the one in there was fine), crank sensor, relay (controls multiple), and now accelerator control module…i can’t even find that on any search for my car…does it even exist?
so much for my rant, i’m pxxxxd beyond belief at this point…and he’s charging me for labor to figure out all this…

Calling a lawyer because the mechanic can’t find a problem and you won’t have the vehicle hauled to another shop? Good way to waste more money and edit your last two words as that only serves to annoy the people who might actually help you.

One thing you must understand is that when it comes to car problems not everything is in black and white. There’s a lot of gray area all depending.

The fact that a shop has to diagnose and dig to a certain degree to reach a conclusion (even if the conclusion turns out to be wrong) does not mean they’re crooked or incompetent.

Modern cars are very complex and with complexity comes headaches, expense, lost time, and ill will when things go sour.

OP writes

"accelerator control module....i can't even find that on any search for my car...does it even exist?"

From what I can tell, Hyundai seems to call it the “electronic throttle control module”. There’s an initialization process your shop could try before replacing it. It may be confused where it is currently located relative to the throttle plate position is all. Sometimes just disconnecting the battery could cause something like that. Happens with HVAC vent door actuator too on some cars.

Did you give the shop a copy of the FSM? Have they looked there for recommended troubleshooting procedures for this part? There may be a recommended procedure for checking fuses, wires and connectors, checking for short circuits, voltage tests, continuity tests, reading diagnostic codes, etc.

It’s sort of hard believe replacing the crank sensor would affect anything else, like the throttle module, but I guess there’s a first for everything. The throttle module probably connects to the PCM and and crank sensor there too. Maybe a static discharge of some kind did it in. I’d expect more likely either the initialization got out of whack or a connector remains undone or connected to the wrong place. As mentioned above there’s probably a throttle position sensor, so make sure the shop checks the wiring from the PCM or throttle control module to that too.

If your current shop seems to be perplexed, you may need to go to a dealership to resolve this. While any good shop should be able to replace the crank sensor, when you get into the throttle control functions, stuff like that, it may require someone more experienced w/this car than a general purpose shop, and it may require a specific Hyundai scan tool.

As mentioned above, engine control systems have become very complex and it wouldn’t be that unusual for a shop to get stumped on something like this unless they had specific experience on it before. Best of luck.

On some engines, it is crucial to relearn a new crankshaft position sensor with a scan tool

On many engines, you can skip this step and get away with it

On some others, you will look like an idiot if you don’t follow the correct procedures

I’m not a Hyundai guy . . . I’ve never even worked on one, actually . . . I’m just throwing an idea out there

well, thanks for the responses folks…
the shop never called me today as promised…
i’ll bet when i call them monday morning there’s another problem…
that’s when i finally say stop, and my car goes to another shop.
i refuse to pay for someone’s on the job training…because these guys obviously lack the skills needed to run a reputable business…
call your customers when you say you will
inform your customers when you don’t know what the problem is or how to remedy it
these friends, are 2 simple things any business does that cares about the community it serves.
and volvo…you are entitled to your opinion…and that’s all.

Multiple people with your problem = Acelerator position sensor.