2002 Satrun SL

So my friend went to do a break stand in my car and when he went to do so the car stayed where it was and reved like it was in neutral. It goes in to gear but when its in gear it clinks and clunks and it shows the speedometer going 20 but the car dosent move. what is wrong?

What is this? presumably you mean brake stand, but what is that?

I assume your so called friend applied Brakes and pressed on accelerator at the same time. I guess that is what you mean by (brake stand). Tell him to do this nonsense to his own vehicle not someone else’s. It sounds like you were close to needing a transmission overhaul and he just moved the repair date up.

4 Likes

@17wmongar

If you’re lucky (as lucky as one could be having friends like that) then a CV joint or CV axle assembly has been destroyed by break dancing.

That could explain clinks and clunks and a speedometer that thinks the car is happily cruising the streets.
CSA

1 Like

In this case perhaps break dancing is more accurate. :grin:

Your friend needs to get this to a shop. He broke the powertrain.
Sorry, but the truth is that it needs a hands-on look-see to diagnose what he broke.

1 Like

When I was an ignorant teenager it was called “power braking”.

1 Like

Back in the _60_s (I guess I’m going to need to start putting the 19 in front… rather, _1960_s) they called it Brake Torquing to achieve a hole shot.

RWD V-8… While waiting on the infamous Woodward Avenue for the light to turn green, you’d get the rear tires smoking and then let off the brakes.

Don’t ask me how I know (Coincidently , I grew up 2 miles from Woodward in the burbs.).
CSA

I haven’t used the term in a long time, but at a recent media event for the AWD Challenger GT, my co-driver did a monster brake-stand. Held the car with the brakes and then spun the rear tires for a while until they were smoking the tires, then released the brake to shoot forward. He did it just to see if an AWD muscle car could do a brake stand or if the AWD would negate the effect.

If you’ve ever look at the prop shaft of a delivery truck, you would see 2 thick round tubes joint by a thin one. When someone does something stupid, deliberately or not, you want something cheap and external to break as it is generally the easier part to replace. It is intended to be a sacrificial part used to expensive components such as the transmission and the differential

1 Like

Just curious, so you press on the gas and the brakes at the same time, then what happens when you let your foot off the brake? Does the front end of the car lift off the ground for a while? Sort of like a drag race start? This is all done with the automatic set to D? Or do you change gears rapidly from neutral to D as part of this?

Is it called a “brake stand” c/c the car sort of stands up like a dog begging for a bone for a little while?

hmm … so the problem now is the car won’t move in D, even when you press on the gas? But the speedo shows 20 mph and you hear weird sounds? hmm … well, that doesn’t seem like what you’d call a good thing. If the speedo didn’t move up like that, that might be you got lucky, and just the brakes are locking up. But w/the speedo moving, that comes from the transmission output shaft or governor, and would indicate a problem with one of those parts. There’s some chance it is just the transmission clutches have gone south I suppose. Even so, it’s probably transmission out of the car time. Best to take it to a transmission shop for a proper eval.

hmmm … did you look under the car and see if there’s anything looking not right, like the end of a drive shaft laying on the ground. It’s possible the transmission output has somehow become disconnected from the drive shafts perhaps. Maybe it is just the differential part is the problem.

Huh, let’s see. Morris Minor, VW bug. Guess I never had a car you could do that to when I was young. I always respected my equipment.

While it seems your friend did you no favor by breaking an axle or CV joint, I wouldn’t leave home in a car that can’t handle a few seconds of brake torquing. It was only a mater of time before that worn fragile CV joint was going to break.

I suspect however your friend broke that axle by performing a “neutral drop”, if that is the case that is a way of breaking good parts.

You broke either the transaxle or if you are lucky a CV joint.

With the 2002 “Satrun” SL’s 124hp and 122 pounds of torque I will stop calling it “power braking”.

Can’t understand why anyone would do this…

RWD, you are putting a lot of wear on the rear brakes, spinning the wheels with brakes on. Ditto FWD.

AWD, you are also putting a lot of strain on the center differential, if only two wheels are spinning.

Plus wear on the tires.

I can understand the motivation. At least from a young driver’s point of view. It’s about testing the limits. How else you gonna know what’s possible and what isn’t? Inventor Elon Musk has broken a lot of stuff testing the limits. But now he knows what the limits are. Here’s the thing the OP should focus on : if a person wants to test the limits, they should do it w/their own car, not somebody else’s.

Oh, I dunno. I did a few dumb things when I was young too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

As did I…

Good news! The 2015+ Mustang has a line lock feature which enables the driver to lock the front brakes but does not engage the rear brakes so that you can easily perform sweet burnouts without placing undo strain on the rear brakes. What a time to be alive.

1 Like

If he was just testing, it"s called a stall speed test. It test the maximum difference between the input and output shaft of the torque converter. The engine should not have revved past 1800 rpm or so. Over that and something bad was happening. I’m not sure the Saturn Automatic was made well enough to tolerate this test for very long.