2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Buy or pass?

Is buying a used 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 290,000 KMS worth it in Canada?
Issue with vehicle is that the idle is low.

If it were an inexpensive fix, the current owner would have had it repaired.

4 Likes

Are you SURE that is the only issue??

A 21 year old Canadian vehicle normally would be rustier than a 100 year old soup can laying on a gulf beach.

1 Like

Take it to a mechanic you trust for a pre-purchase inspection. Expect to pay for it, and that will be the best money you spend this week. Also expect several issues. Ask for an itemized list of problems including the cost to fix the ones that really do need to be fixed.

1 Like

It seems hard to believe the only problem is the low idle rpm. But if it checks out as rust-ok, engine & transmissions seem sound, what could be causing the low idle rpm?
My first guess would be a throttle body idle rpm actuator (idle air control) problem. If so , that wouldn’t be a show stopper.

Thanks for your input everyone. I have decided not to go ahead.

The owner first mentioned vehicle was registered. On the day I was planning on going to check it out, he lets me know it is not registered.

Definitely fishy. I passed on this vehicle.

4 Likes

Wise move. Keep us updated in your continued search. I love spending other people’s money. :wink:

Haha. Good one :rofl:

Exactly. The engine probably has a poor idle because of low compression on one or more cylinders. The cheapest solution to this “minor issue” is replacing the head gaskets. Even that costs over $1000 to properly DIY (including machine shop reconditioning), and over $3000 if done professionally. It may be necessary to rebuild or replace the engine.

Boy am I glad I did not buy that vehicle.

Does it cost $3000 for the head gasket on Subarus too?

No, it doesn’t.
My '97 Outback suffered a breached head gasket (or both??) at ~115k miles. I never did figure out whether the dealership came to my assistance or whether it was the mfr, but I paid ~$400 for replacement of both head gaskets. Most likely, the real cost was ~$900.

Because of the excellent way that I was treated, I bought two more vehicles from that dealership, and they both proved to be incredibly reliable.

I’m going to say they helped you out…

CYLINDER HEAD GASKET - R&R

Operation:

GT,LSi,Outback,Outback Limited One Side

Includes: Remove carbon and check surfaces for warpage. Includes adjust Valves (where applicable) and clean and adjust Spark Plugs. 6.8 hours labor

GT,LSi,Outback,Outback Limited Both

Includes: Remove carbon and check surfaces for warpage. Includes adjust Valves (where applicable) and clean and adjust Spark Plugs. 10.1 hours labor

Is $2500 more reasonable? Unless you enjoy repairing engines, you should avoid broken vehicles.

I’ve read that if you buy a Subarumade before 2011, at some point you will need to do the head gaskets.