2002 Nissan Altima problems

I have an 02 Nissan Altima. 13 months ago I had to replace the ECM, 02 sensor, and the headlights. I take it in for the normal oil changes and have not had any problems, until now. 4 weeks after my regular oil change the check engine light came on and I checked the oil and found there was no oil, so I added 3 quarts in and it seemed fine. 1 week later I had to add 2 more quarts. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that it has clogged the catalytic convertner, which was replaced 13 months ago. He also told me that I need a new engine, which average cost that I have found is $2,500.00-$4,000.00. Is there any way to repair this issue without a new engine?

It appears, by your mechanic’s reckoning, that the engine is burning a ton of oil which is then fouling the hell out of the converter. Do yourself one favor: remove and inspect your spark plugs. If you’re really burning through that much oil, they should be soaked in it.

Did he tell you how he came to the conclusion that you need a new engine? Any oil leaking onto the ground, or visible on the underside of the car?

You didn’t tell us the mileage on this car, or how many miles you drove it in order to use that much oil. Two quarts a week is a lot, but it would be nice to know how many miles that week of driving entailed.

If the engine is burning that much oil it’s no wonder the cat is clogged. Engines can be rebuilt rather than replaced, depending on what’s wrong with them.

Is the mechanic who says you need a new engine the same mechanic who’s been changing the oil?

He told me that the engine has internal problems and cannot be repaired. I have checked the ground and the tailpipe for any signs of oil leaking and burning, but have had no signs.

According to Wikepedia.com there is a defective head gasket problem with some 2002
altimas which NISSAN says is not a recall problem.Many people say it is caused
by a faulty catalytic converter but a bad head gasket seems more likely.My
altima burns a quart of oil every 150miles but otherwise runs fine.The oil burning has damaged the pre catalytic converter.There is no easy solution to this problem.

A bad head gasket would not cause oil burning in and of itself, certainly not in the amounts being talked about here (two quarts a week, a quart every 150 miles). Oil consumption is caused usually either by worn valve stem seals, or bad piston rings. I’d have to think that only rings can allow this much oil to be burned.

Assuming that’s the case, the only fixes are enormously expensive. It’s either remove and rebuild the existing engine, or install another engine altogether.