2002 Ford Mustang no oil visible on dipstick

Why I don’t have oil on my dip stick with no leaks or smoke and just had the oil changed about 2 months ago?

If you can’t see oil on the dipstick, the oil level is so low you are about to destroy your engine! Add oil, NOW. Right NOW before driving anywhere in this car. Add oil until you can see the oil level at the top of the crosshatched pattern on the dipstick. It should be about 1 quart. Then write down the mileage in a notebook.

Think back to how many miles you drove in the last 2 months, and how many quarts you added. Divide miles by quarts. So how many miles per quart did you get?

Next time you get gas, check the oil level. when it gets to the bottom of the crosshatch, add more until it is back at the top. Write down the mileage. Subtract the first number form the second number to tell you how many miles you drive per quart of oil.

If it is less than 500 miles, your engine ready to be rebuilt. Any higher mileage than that and you will need to check your oil and add regularly or the engine will be destroyed. If the car doesn’t appear to use any oil in 2000 or more miles, then your oil change place didn’t put in enough after your last change. Find a new oil change place.

3 Likes

It sounds like you didn’t check your oil after the oil change and you haven’t checked it in two months. Although you can often get away with neglect like that, sometimes it comes back to bite you.

Have you checked the engine closely for any obvious leaks, especially around the oil filter?

Anyway, as Mustangman says, we need to know how many quarts you add today and we need to know how many miles per quart you get in the near future.

1 Like

+1

Unless the OP provides information to the contrary, this simply sounds like a case of Owner Neglect.

2 Likes

So is the reason for this discovery the illumination or flickering of the red oil pressure (or lack of…) lamp?

No oil on the stick means some engine damage. The only question is the degree.

If there are no oil leaks this means either the engine is burning oil or whoever did the oil change did not fill it up. I seriously doubt the latter.