2002 CRV P0420 code - but I think the cat was recently replaced?

It would be helpful to know how they reached these conclusions, and if there are other codes besides P0420.

When I googled p0420 these are some of the potential causes that come up, so I think thatā€™s where. At first I thought they were telling me that these were all problems my car has because they werenā€™t very clear but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. I believe the 0420 code is the only one logged.

IMHO the OP should tell the mechanic everything he/she knows about the symptoms and the vehicle, and show him the receipts he/she has. That will also help him look up the part numbers used and confirm that wring parts arenā€™t the source of the problem.

[quote=ā€œdb4690, post:15, topic:96567ā€] Another thought occurred to me . . . if incorrect parts were installed, all bets are off. For example, if this is a California emissions car, and 49-state components were installed, it might get interesting
[/quote]

Thatā€™s good input too.

1 Like

an exhaust leak can cause a P0420 code, and you know you have an exhaust leak.

Start there.

1 Like

I think you might be on to something with the incorrect parts theory. I updated the main post with what I think is going on.

In many states, you fail inspection if the check engine light is onā€¦

my state doesnā€™t have inspections :wink:

Solved: the catalytic converter was defective. We took it to a repair shop and they couldnā€™t find anything wrong, so they took our receipt and went to the car parts store and got a replacement cat under warranty. $130 for labor to install it and the car is good to go, no check engine light in over 2 months.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you got it fixed. I bet the dealer it originally came from knew about the issue and did a wholesale to a mom and pop corner dealer. I have seen traded cars with mechanical problems sold off to small corner dealers because the big reputable places donā€™t want to deal with them.