2002 Chevrolet Avalanche occasionally fails to start

My vehicle has 140,000 miles on it, Within the past year, it occasionally fails to start. When turning the key it gives a short sputter, and after 3 or 4 tries, it starts, and runs as well as when I bought it new…it’s serviced regularly. The Chevrolet dealer replaced the fuel pump & the problem remains (the dealer could not repeat the problem in the shop to determine the cause)

Please describe that a bit more. By “sputter” does it crank the engine but the engine doesn’t start? or the started makes a “sputtering” sound?

The “3 or 4 tries”, meaning you cycle the key to start 3-4 times? If that is the case, I’d say one of the injectors is leaking. You need to test the fuel pressure after the truck s shut off to see that it holds significant pressure overnight. Since the pump’s been changed, it’s unlikely the check valve in the pump has failed - another cause of this. Injector cleaner - the pour in the tank kind or one of the kind that injects the cleaner straight through the system is a possible remedy.

If the starter itself is sputtering, that could be a failing starter solenoid or a bad ignition switch.

Mustangman,

By sputter, I mean that it does crank the engine momentarily & the engine does not start and I do mean cycling the key 3-4 times. FYI, in addition to a new fuel pump, a new ignition switch was installed last year. Thanks for your feedback and I’ll share your comments with my mechanic who has his own shop, & not affiliated with a Chevy dealer.

Don aka OG Roadrunner

Retired Biker

Iron Souls MC, Charter & Lifetime Member