2001 mercury grand marquis starting problems

2001 Grand Marquise has starting issue. Turn it over 5 times and it will start and run fine. Let it sit for about 4 hours and have to do it again. Any ideas? No codes present.

The problem might be with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump.

Next time the vehicle sits and you go to start it, turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, it’s the anti drain-back valve.

Tester

1 Like

Tried it same thing. Other day I checked for pressure in the fuel rail and it was about nill. Did this before I tried to start it. I thought there should be pressure in the fuel rail.

There will be no fuel pressure if the vehicle has sat for a while.

When the engine is shut off, the fuel system holds what’s called residual fuel pressure.

Residual fuel pressure prevents vapor lock when a hot engine is shut off. Then, this residual fuel pressure bleeds down over time until there is no fuel pressure.

Connect your pressure gauge, turn the ignition on to run the fuel pump, and watch how long it takes for the residual fuel pressure to bleed down.

Depending on the vehicle, it can take twenty minutes for that to occur.

If the pressure gauge drops to zero as soon as the fuel pump stops operating, the anti drain-back valve is bad.

Tester

Do not have fuel pressure tester. When I checked it I just pushed down on the schrader valve. After turning it over fuel came out. But it was not really high pressure. I have a fuel pump ordered. It should be here Monday. If that does not work I will let you know. Thanks a lot!!!

It was the fuel pump.