2001 Honda Civic Engine Issue

My boyfriend took his 2001 Honda Civic LX to valvoline to get his oil changed on Sunday 9/6, after the oil change he went to pick me up at the airport and once he picked me up we noticed a clanking noise in the hood. We decided to take a local route home instead of the highway due to the noise. On the way home the car stalled when at a red light. We didn’t drive the car for a couple days. We took the car to my family’s mechanic and on the way there (had to take the highway) it started to lose power and stalled on the side of the highway. It wouldnt go over 40mph. It stalled again once we got off the exit for the mechanic. And then about a mile off the highway was the mechanic and he opened the hood, turned on the car, and the engine overheated. The car had some initial issues with a gas tank leak, and a failing alternator but was running nearly perfect with a recent transmission rebuild last year. Only after the oil change did issues begin to arise. Wonder what you think might have caused this and what are the best options moving forward! Definitely looking to get it fixed rather than buying a new car but your suggestions are appreciated.

Has anyone looked at the engine oil level?

Tester

7 Likes

There was oil in it when the mechanic checked it.

From what you describe then, the engine may have a blown head gasket.

Tester

1 Like

Valvoline also gave a report saying they checked all of the fluids and they were “ok”. however when we got to the mechanic he said there wasnt much coolant. (Valvoline said there was 2 days prior though ?)

The mechanic who actually saw the car was in a much better position to give you opinions than people guessing over the internet, from your description of events. You need to pay a mechanic for the time it takes to make a proper diagnosis unless th problem is so obvious to him that he can just say, it needs an engine.

1 Like