2001 ford tauras heating problem

heat wasn’t as warm as it should be,so i drained and refilled the system also changed the thermostat,now i get warm air for awhile then cool then warm etc.i’m thinking there’s air in the system ,but not really sure how to get it out.i tried squeezing the upper hose with the cap off it didn’t do much. is there a way to bleed the system without bringing it in to have it pressure bled ? also do you think i’m on the right track ? thanks

To purge the air out of the cooling system, get the engine up to operating temperature. With the engine idling, slightly loosen the upper radiator hose clamp. Take a small flat bladed screwdriver and slip it between the upper radiator hose and the radiator hose neck to purge the air out of the cooling system.

Tester

Did you use a thermostat from the Ford parts counter? I believe that they have a small hole in them to allow air ( and a little coolant) to pass even when they are otherwise closed. This could be important.

another way to get bubbles out is when the engein is cold take off the radeadtor cap starte the motor and then add as needed, but watch when it warms up or you will have a big spill to clean up.

mopar man

Since you had the low heat issue before and after putting the new antifreeze in, air is probably not your problem.

I’ve seen SEVERAL Tauri and Sables that had plugged heater cores. The optimum fix is a new core, but that is very labor intensive. It requires dismantling the whole dash to change. It’s about an eight hour labor job.

On another note, I have been successful in several cases by cleaning out the core with a 50/50 solution of CLR and water. I use a LARGE funnel and long heater hose to back fill the core by taking both hoses off of it where they go thru the firewall and filling it thru the bottom opening. That way the solution can stay in the core for a minute or two before rinsing it out. I usually do it twice. If you plug the removed hoses off, you don’t even have to drain the whole system. If your core is marginal, there is some risk of causing it to leak as the solution is slightly acidic, enough so that you need rubber gloves. I’ve never had it happen, yet. Consider that you probably need a new core anyway, so you’ll only be the cost of the CLR and your time if you try it and it doesn’t work. Good luck.

thanks, that tip worked great on getting the air out,i now have an even flow of air, but the air is only warm, i"m thinking the good old pain in butt heater core may be partially clogged.

thanks, yes i did orientate the jiggle valve correctly, good idea though

thanks, i didn’t want to think about the dreaded heater core but i think you’re right.i will definitely try your cleaning idea before i pull the core.