2001 Cadillac DeVille - Burns oil

My car is loosing oil I had it checked so they found no leaks so I now its burning oil what do I do

How many miles per quart does it use?

2 Likes

In addition knowing how many miles per quart, it would be helpful for us to know whether the OP is capable of checking/replenishing the oil himself/herself. I ask because elderly or disabled people sometimes have problems with tasks like that.

Also…
How many miles are on the odometer?
How often do you change the oil, in terms of both odometer mileage and elapsed time?

1 Like

Now that you know, get some of the oil that is recommended in the owners manual. Check the oil level frequently and if it’s not all the way to the top of the mark on the dipstick, top it up with the correct oil.

After a while you’ll get an idea how much oil is lost over how many miles, and it may then be safe to reduce the frequency of checking and topping up.

Other than replacing/rebuilding the engine, this can be added to the oil to stop/reduce the oil burning.

https://www.restoreusa.com/index.php

I wouldn’t be putting too much money towards a 20 year-old car.

Tester

Looks like the 2001 has the most problems. And the most common problem? Oil burning.
Cadillac DeVille Problems | CarComplaints.com

Yeah, at this point it will be easier and more cost effective to just monitor the oil and keep it topped off as needed.

Burning oil may shorten the life of your catalytic converter. But on a 2001 model “anything”, the catalytic converter is probably already on borrowed time.

1 Like

If you were on TV you would change the valve guide seals and the problem would disappear. In the real world, you change the leaking oil pressure sensor, tighten the loose oil pan bolts or replace the engine.

1 Like

Oil in the crank-case only has a few common means of escape

• leaks through a seal and into the engine compartment, you may see oil spots on the ground or oil gunk accumulating on engine parts. Faulty valve cover seals a common cause.
  • gets past the piston rings and gets burned in the engine. you may see black or blue exhaust smoke, esp when accelerating.
  • gets past the valve stem seals and gets burned in the engine, you may see black or blue exhaust smoke when first starting the engine after it has sat overnight.
  • gets sucked out of the oil pan and into the intake manifold b/c of a defective pcv system

the piston ring explanation is probably the most common when there are no visible external leaks.