2000 Subaru Legacy / TO JUNK OR NOT TO JUNK

2000 SUBARU LEGACY / HAS 103,000 MILES/ HAS NEW CLUTCH/ CAR STOPPED WORKING/ TOLD I HAVE THREE OPTIONS:

1. NEW “SHORT BLOCK” AND REFURBISH THE REST OF THE ENGINE. THEY WILL ALSO REPLACE TIMING BELT AND PUT IN NEW WATER PUMP $4600.00 PARTS LABOR TAX NOT INCLUDED.

2. GET A USED MOTOR FROM A JUNK YARD. PROBABLY WOULD COST ABOUT $3800.00.

3. JUNK CAR AND DECIDE TO BY ANOTHER SUBARU OR SOMETHING ELSE WITH 4 WHEEL. CAN SPEND UP TO $12,000.00 TO REPLACE MAX.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR FREE ADVISE, WHAT EVER THAT’S WORTH.

BARRY

That is a borderline decision.
Free advice is just that. Free.

If I had $12k to spend on a vehicle with a 103k miles on it and a choice what you posted, I’d sell the vehicle for whatever I could get (Not much without a running motor) and buy a good newer used one.

BUT, this vehicle better be in great condition if it is to receive a good used engine. JMHO is all.

Move on to another vehicle.

So why did the engine quit working? Out of oil, overheated, timing belt popped?

If the rest of the car is real good shape and you want to keep this car for at least a few more years then you may be wise to fix it. I would recommend you order a rebuilt engine from CCR Engines because they offer a 3 year warranty on their engines. They also really know how to rebuild Subaru engines and are very good to deal with. With one these engines installed and possibly a new radiator you should have no troubles for a long time with the car. Here is a link for you to check them out. http://www.ccrengines.com/id18.html

You may also want to consider purchasing a new Subaru if you can afford to make payments. Prices for new cars have dropped and interest rates are good. If you have good credit you should have no trouble getting a loan and be able to make a good deal on a new car. Dealers are crying for customers to come in and buy.

If you decide on another Subaru buy 2005+ and 12k is possible from a private owner. 2005+ have the head gasket issue corrected that likely lead to your engine failure on your 2000.

Forget a used engine as the problem(headgasket) likely is still lurking. Also you have no idea on age of timing belt(likely needs replacement) and water pump.