2000 Sebring - Lights are on, nobody's home

My 2000 Chrysler Sebring battery dies after sitting for more than 6 hours. New battery, alternator is charging it, and voltmeter shows no unexpected pull. Any idea what might be turning itself on and draining the battery when I’m not looking?

HOW are you using the voltmeter to test?

I’ve never done these parasitic drain tests, but most techs here say to use a multimeter.

I had a shop looking at it - they probably did use a multimeter. I was able to find the following procedure at: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Remove the negative side battery cable from the negative battery terminal.

Attach an ammeter(this measures amperage) between the negative cable and the negative battery post. wait a few seconds to several minutes for the car to go into sleep mode. i.e. when you make the contact with the test light the cars computer systems “wake up” after a bit of time they will go to “sleep”.

If the ammeter is reading over 25-50 milliamps, something is using too much battery power.

Go to the fuse panel(s) and remove fuses, one at a time. Pull the main fuses (higher amp ratings)last. Be sure to observe the ammeter after pulling each fuse.

Watch for the ammeter to drop to acceptable drain. The fuse that reduces the drain is the draw. Consult the owners’ manual or service manual to find what circuits are on that fuse.

Check each device (circuit) on that fuse. Stop each lamp, heater, etc. to find the drain.

Repeat steps 1&2 to test your repair. The ammeter will tell you exact numbers.

*Harbor freight sells a $3 digital multimeter (dmm) that has an amps setting. I use a Fluke, but it’s whatever your trying to spend your dollars on.