2000 Saab engine light

I’m not referrriing to “service engine soon” light if there is even one on 2000 Saab’s. It looks like an engine icon that lights up sporadically. I took it to a foreign car mechanic and he said ‘something’ needs to be replaced to the tune of about $400. Sensor maybe? I can’t remember . I asked if it was a safety issue and he said the car is definitely driveable but not to be surprised if it stalls.

It has been well over 9 months and I haven’t had any related repairs; the light still comes on occasionally. Any thoughts / advice? Thanks!

Drive on…Read your owners manual to learn the purpose of the bothersome light…Your car should have an OBD-2 diagnostics system built in… Most parts stores will read the stored fault codes for free…Post those codes back here for opinions on what may be required…

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.