2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager - New tires, front or back?

Need to buy two new tires.Should they be put on the front or back.

Back no matter how the vehicle is driven. It applies to everything - Front - Rear or All wheel.
There are You Tube videos that will show you why .

@Whittaker Curious why you are asking . Do you doubt what a tire shop told you or are you listening to some who has not kept up with why the 2 only tires go on the rear ?

4 Likes

New tires go on the rear. If the front loses traction first in a hard turn or an emergency maneuver, most average drivers can recover. If the rear loses traction first, the car will spin and most average drivers will crash.

In addition to the other comments, I want to add that it would be very difficult nowadays to find a tire shop that would go against the advisories of all of the tire companies by mounting the new tires on the front wheels.

I have heard about putting new tire’s on the back for a few year’s now & know people who wanted the new tire’s on the front but the tire shop refused I put new tire’s on my F150 early last summer they asked me did I want them on front or rear I said front & no question’s were asked they put them on the front was it because it was rear wheel drive and not front wheel drive?

Your situation makes no sense to me. First, most people who try to put the new tires up front do so because those are their drive wheels and they’re prioritizing forward traction in bad conditions over keeping the car under control. Why would someone with rear-wheel-drive want the new tires up front? Second, I’ve never driven a pickup truck, but my understanding is that when they’re not loaded the back end is already a bit low on traction. Making this worse by putting the worn tires there would just exaggerate this effect.

1 Like

What kind of tire shop was this ? I have not seen one in several years that would do that . And if they did they also had some kind of legal form that you had to sign before they would do that .
I strongly suggest that youe either have them rotaed or put 2 new ones on the rear now.

It is what I learned to do when I started driving I have had a few blowout’s over the year’s on anything from car’s to 18 wheeler’s & would much rather have it happen on the rear instead of the steering axle.besides I never let the tread get much below half before getting new tire;s.

3 Likes

Good year. I don’t go to the maypop dealer.

I like living on the edge. :laughing:
I have always put new tires on the front of FWD vehicles. I’ve never had a problem, but in situations where it would matter for some folks, I’d have to question the ability of the driver and whether they should really be on the road.

Obviously, if one has worn tires on the front and fresh ones on the rear, the front could possibly wash-out first. And if one has fresh tires on the front and worn tires on the rear, the rear tires could possibly wash out first. I’ve never had either end lose traction. Worn out tires shouldn’t be on a vehicle.

Lots of factors at work here… weight distribution, center of gravity of the vehicle, amount of tire wear we’re talking about, etcetera…

If I have worn tires that won’t provide adequate traction then I replace them. Also, I know what “driving too fast for conditions” means and I have adequate driving skills and ability.

When I start worrying myself about putting new tires on the rear, I’ll seriously have to reprioritize my short list of things to worry about. :yawning_face:
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree: