2000 Kia Sportage ECM Replacement

I was wondering if anyone might know what the procedures are to replace the ECM in a 2000 Kia Sportage.

I am getting a code of p0604 and at the moment I am trying to determine if it is possible for me to replace the ECM on this car myself and if so I was wondering what the procedures are and as to what tools might be required to do the job.

If anyone has any information as to how to do this I would greatly appreciate it you could let me know as I am trying to resolve this problem just as quickly as I can.

I don’t have a book handy so I don’t know what that p0604 is, but why do you want to replace the ECM on the bases of a single error code? Error codes only point out measurements that are not expected. Error codes don’t point out defective parts.

This is probably why: P0604 Internal Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error

You did not state if the CEL was on, if the vehicle is exhibiting any problems, etc. other than that particular code.
If there are no apparent performance problems why not clear the code, drive it a bit, and note if it comes back.
That worthless thing called Microsoft Windows for PCs has been known to hiccup now and then; and hiccup a lot. :slight_smile:

I’ve never replaced an ECM on a Sportage, but generally speaking they’re easy to swap out. Might be a good idea to disconnect the battery first.

Something you might consider is this. If you can go back and verify the delivery date of the vehicle when it was first sold then you might get this replaced under Federal emissions warranty IF the mileage is 80k or less. The original delivery date, or put into service date, would have to be after Feb. 4, 2000 to keep the vehicle within the 8 year time frame.

The procedure mainly involves great pain and suffering experienced through your Visa card… mechanically, it ain’t hard, but financially you will seriously consider leaving it in the Wal-Mart parking lot and tossing the keys on the seat.

If you’re just wealthy and in a hurry, have a dealer take a look. Shouldn’t it be under their much-vaunted warranty anyway?

I don’t believe that it is under that warranty anymore as I bought it used in 2006 from a dealership in Albuquerque, New Mexico and based upon what I read of the tag on the door it was manufactured on 5/12/1999.

The car has been having a lot of driveability problems in which it has been stalling, hesitating, and just lacking power. The check engine light has been comming on and I have been getting misfire codes of P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0304.

The O2 sensor has been replaced, the exhaust manifold taken out and rewelded, the fuel filter replaced, the spark plugs replaced, the coil packs & coil wires replaced, and the catlytic convertor has been replaced as well.

The fuel pump has alledgedly been tested and has supposedly been found to be in working order and the new catlytic convertor has been tested to see if that might be causing the problem. The car does have another catlytic convertor that is up near the exhaust manifold, but that has not been tested as of yet. I have also replaced the battery and the fuel cap as well as the car was failing emissions last year and based upon the software that I purchased from Autotap recently it is indicating that there is still an emissions issue as it is saying that it is failing that test.

I have cleared the codes and driven it around the block with no improvement and at the moment I am thinking that it is either the ECM that is faulty and/or that the upper catltyic convertor may be faulty but at this point in time I just can’t say as to what is causing the problem.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing the problems that I am describing here and as to how to fix it, then I would greatly appreciate any input that you may have regarding the issue.

I have looked at the prices online for both the upper catlytic convertor and for the ECM and from what I can tell neither one is more than $500 dollars in aftermarket prices.

I am trying to figure out what is causing the problem and I am trying to determine as to whether this is an item that I can fix on my own or not or to at least diagnose as I know how pricey the dealerships can be both in parts and labor and I am hoping that if possible I will be able to find out what is causing the problem and to fix it myself, assuming of course that it is not something that is either going to be overly complicated or that I would need special tools for.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can better address this issue, then I would greatly appreciate any input that you might have as this issue has been dogging me for some time now and as to date no one has been able to accurately find and fix the problem with much success and I am hoping to change that as this car and this problem is starting to drive me crazy and at the moment I am comming to my wits end regarding this problem.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your vehicle? I have a 2000 Sportage with the same problems and codes. O2 sensor and idle air controler replaced today, so far so good. What was your outcome.

Thanks
Anna Henson